November 26, 2007

Bandhakofi (Cabbage) Tarkari

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Cabbage
Tarkari is a simple vegetable dish to make, after you have finished cutting the cabbage that is! My mom makes it quite regularly during winter from cabbage grown in vegetable garden. Somehow mine always turned out a little lacking. I asked my mom what her secret was and was determined to try it again... soon. So when I found some small cabbages at the Farmer's Market, I decided to try my hand at cooking Bandhakofir Tarkari.

My Phisi would also add shrimp in the sabzi and it adds another layer of taste and texture. Since I couldn't add shrimp I sauted some Tofu and added it in and both Aswin and I enjoyed our new version of Tofu Cabbage sabzi.

Ingredients:
2 small cabbages or 1 medium
3/4 cup peas (I used frozen)
1 cube ginger- grated
1 tspoon cumin seeds
pinch of mustard seeds
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
2 green chillis
pinch of asafoetida
1/2 cup water
2 tbspoon oil
1/4 cube Tofu - cut in small cubes
Salt to taste

Method:
Cut the cabbage in small strips. Set aside.
Saute the tofu till the Tofu becomes golden brown. Keep it aside.

Heat half of the oil and temper it with asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and green chillis.
Add the grated ginger and then add the chopped cabbage. Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and let it cook on closed lid for 2-3 minutes.

Then add the peas, water and let it cook for 7-8 minutes till the cabbage is almost cooked. Then add salt, tofu and let it cook on closed lid for another 2-3 minutes.

Once all the water has disappeared, add about 1 tspoon oil and lightly saute it and mix well. Serve warm.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We enjoyed ours with spinach dal and parathas. This is my entry to Sunita's Think Spice... Ginger event. I hope she will accept my late entry!

23 comments:

  1. cabbage curry looks soo delecioussss

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a different cabbage recipe, I usually dont make cabbage, but think will try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful Mandira!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandira,thanks for your entry...we love cabbage..just had it last night.I hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cabbage palya is so yum with Parathas, looks great Mandira, great entry!:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy thali, love all the dishes :) parathas look so good, what kind r they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious looking dish. I have ever only had cabbage thoran , this looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do this too minus the tofu. Will try it your way next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really delightful, Mandira! I love cabbage and agree that its incomplete without ginger, mustard and green chillies :). and i love the platter too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mystic12:57 PM

    Yum yum. Wonderful pictures! And the tarkari looks great (with Tofu as a twist).

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous !!! sounds unique...i only make cabbage stir fry....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious Mandira!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to hate this but have developed quite a taste for it in my adulthood. reminds me of my pishis and mashis back home in Kolkata!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adding tofu is a nice way to incorporate proteins in the bhaji. Looks really good, Mandira! The paratha looks great too! I can never make parathas like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know the post is about the cabbage tarkari but it is the spinach dal that is distracting me :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Madira, the platter looks delicious, cabbage simple and quick, I don't add ginger will have to try next time. Tofu maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks gr8!!.....thanx 4 sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, yes I want shrimp in my bandhakopi too :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mandira,
    I made this today, a welcome change from my everyday fare cabbage thoran. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy Cabbage Tarkari Mandira, adding Tofu is such a nice idea!

    ~ Siri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all, Tofu was a last minute idea and have to say a great addition.

    Bindiya Do try it out, you'll like it!

    Sunita Thank you for hosting the event!

    Richa They are the plain parathas, made by folding... the way my mother made it.

    Mallika, Sandeepa it is how my phisis and mashis made it, minus the tofu ofcourse. Somehow I always missed something and had to call my mom to figure it out :)

    Cynthia he he... My spinach dal recipe is already there in the blog!

    Archana I'm so glad that you liked it. It's quick and easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mandira, you have been so busy posting since you got back and hope this means you're feeling better :) Cabbage tarkari looks really delicious -- alot of work days I do a really simple cabbage stir fry that I like to call thoran. Yours sounds almost as easy and definitely more interesting! I will have to try. The tofu would make it a great filling lunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Linda do try and let me know how it turns out. It's makes for a filling lunch or dinner :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...