November 14, 2007

Black Forest Cake

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's cake time! Last year at this time baked my first cake from scratch for aswin's birthday. So when the year did a full circle, I wondered about what to make for this year. I initially thought of Tiramisu, but didn't have enough ingredients or the time. I settled on the next favorite cake - Black Forest but with some modifications.

Usually, being the novice, I stay away from the decoration. But this time I decided to give it a try and wasn't disappointed. It did look and taste great!

So now for the modifications. I didn't use cocoa powder in the cake. Rather I chopped a full bar of 100% cocoa (wow, that's bitter!) and mixed it in the dough. It gave a great texture to the cake. The chocolate shavings are also from the 100% cocoa bar. Also, I used brown sugar instead of white which gave some of the color to the cake. And I mixed some of the cherry liqueur in the whipped cream for some extra flavor to the cake.

The cake turned out delicious, moist and not too sweet, my favorite kind! And don't try to figure out the candles, it's complicated :)

Ingredients:
Cake1 ¾ cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
1 100% cocoa bar - chopped thin
2 tspoons baking powder
1/2 tspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
½ bar butter - melted
1 tspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup hot water

Whipped Cream
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tbspoon cherry liquor

Cherries
1 cup cherries (1/2 chopped thin, keep the rest aside)
1/3 cup cherry syrup

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Method:

Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degF. Grease and flour two round pans. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Then add the chocolate. Add the eggs, milk, butter and lastly vanilla. Stir till it mixes well together. Then add the hot water and mix for a couple more minutes. Then pour the batter on the pans and bake for 30-40 min till a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out dry. Cool for an hour.

Whipped Cream
Mix all the ingredients till soft peaks form.

Cherries
Soak the cherries in the syrup. Take the full cherries out and set aside. Mix the chopped cherries with the cherry sryup.

Assembling the Cake
Place one layer of cake on a serving plate.
Sprinkle half of the cherry syrup and chopped cherries on the cake.
Then spread the whipped cream.
Put the second layer of cake on top.
Sprinkle the rest of the cherry sryup and chopped cherries on top.
Then top it with whipped cream.
Add the chocolate shavings the rest of the cherries on top.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Black Forest Cake Refrigerate overnight. This helps set the cream and the cherries.
This was quite a treat :)

46 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake!
    I love 60% cocoa chocolate to eat just like that.
    Happy Birthday to Aswin!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!!i love this cake ...yummy yummy one ...i wish i could have a small bite ...can i come over

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! awesome job mandira!!..and please pass on my birthday wishes to ashwin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy B'day to Aswin! That's a yummy and grat looking cake, Mandira! Do you have some left :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love black forest cake.. esp. the ones we get in india. What beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Manira you are a pretty good baker. Black Forest Cake for me is something that has to be bought at the baker alone. Never ever can I make it at home.
    Beautiful and a Very Happy B'Day to Aswin

    ReplyDelete
  7. B'day greetings to Aswin and congrats to this risk taking baker :) I would not dare to make such variations on my first attempt...and in your case, it has come out tasty too...you are one genius :)

    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is one glorious cake!!! keep experimenting and posting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. U r killing me Mandira! I am totally "J" of ashwin now!

    anyways bfore he gets angry with me..My bday wishes for ashwin! and "whoa" to his adventureous mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delight that cake would have been. Looks lovely Mandira.

    Happy Birthday! to Aswin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! to Aswin and the cake looks heavenly mandira..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for the birthday wishes! And as you can imagine, most of the cake is gone now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an absolutely gorgeous cake, Mandira! Birthday wishes to Aswin:)
    I was trying to figure out the candles on the cake...I know u told us not to ... so ur hubby turns four?... hmmm ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its my fav...wont u give me a bite

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely cake! Happy birthday to Aswin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful! You are a fantastic baker since the cake is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Mandira..that cake sure looks marvellous..*novice* did u say?? ummmm...hv a look at my first time frosted cake..BFC under the cake label..u will know what a novice is..and smile broadly when u see my work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Convey my wishes to Aswin and your cake looks yummy...I know only to eat ...:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks incredible. I have not dared to make a Black FOrrest cake yet - you are so courageous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks gorgeous! Very very authentic in every detail. This has got to be my all time favorite cake!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy belated b'day to Aswin...and Mandira, that's one glorious cake...you have come full circle indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow... beautiful cake. 100% choco? u r brave mandira:)
    b'day wishes to ashwin...

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is one gorgeous looking cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks gorgeous Mandira, I can never pass up Black Forest, its too yummy! I made one for my hubby's bday too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. yummy black forest cake! fantastic pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful. You are so good. I would love to have a huge piece from the cake

    ReplyDelete
  27. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    It's been ages since I had a black forest cake!! I wish i could have a slice of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday to you dear Aswin!
    And may God bless you!
    Now where is my Cake???..Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh beautiful cake, and sooo romantic..
    Happy Birthday Aswin... aren't you lucky to have such a sweet wife?

    ReplyDelete
  30. wowwwww cake lookssss so yummyyyy can i have a slice........

    ReplyDelete
  31. this cake is amazingly inviting m sure Aswin must have enjoyed his bday

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ooooo...that's looks yummy yummy good. Perfect job done. Wish I had been there too to enjoy it with you. Oh girl, u made my tongue crave for some dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mandira! This is gorgeous! Aswin is a lucky guy :) I love the first pic with the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hold on, Mandira dear. Tiramisu is too time-consuming but we'll make this ravishing Black Forest Cake instead!!?? :):)

    Aswin must have been in heaven to see that beautiful birthday cake (and belated good wishes to him!)!

    Hats off to you, my friend -- I would never even attempt it :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. thank you all for the wishes! In a few months from now, I'm going to have a hard time coming up with something to match this! I've been thinking about starting a series called "kitchen blunders" or something like that - maybe I'll wait until then, try my hand at baking, and write a blog post about what went wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. hi mandhira me to posted blackforest cake yesterday in my blog but yours looks soo yummyy

    ReplyDelete
  37. The cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks really wonderful! Belated Birthday Wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  39. Haha, Aswin, smiling at your reply there -- but I'm sure you won't blunder when the time comes :)

    Mandira, missing your smiling face from Michigan -- hope all's well there and hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow thats a beautifull looking cake i am sure Aswin would have loved it :)
    Happy bday to ASwin

    ReplyDelete
  41. lol. did you know that chocolate was banned in switzerland for many years. read this

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you all. It may not have been the traditional black forest cake, but turned out quite delicious. Both of us enjoyed generous helpings till it was gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Incredible! You're a star!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh the cake looks heavenly, n I am sure it tasted like heaven too.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous4:10 PM

    Hey...your recipe looks great!
    I just have a question..Is there a sequence when mixing the dry ingredients with eggs, butter etc.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...