November 28, 2007

Slow Cooker Black Bean & Veggie Soup

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Every year around this time, I take out my crockpot and get ready for the soup season. I can put all the ingredients - vegetables, beans, rice, liquids either at night before going to bed or in the morning before leaving for work and I have a big flavorful, bubbling pot waiting for me for dinnertime.

With some buttered bread slices or a quick salad, this makes a delicious weekday meal when we are either running late from work, a stuck in traffic or just plain tired.

In the slow cooker, food is cooked over low heat for a long period and retains all the nutrients and flavor. Since it also cooks at a lower temperature it also uses less energy. This week, I made black bean and vegetable soup.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here is a picture of the red kidney beans and vegetable soup I made last week. And last year I even tried Mulagatawny Soup in the slow cooker too. It turned out great!

Ingredients:
1 can black bean
1 red pepper- chopped
2 medium carrots - chopped
2 celery stocks - chopped
6-8 mushrooms - chopped
3-4 shallots/green onions- chopped
1 clove garlic - grated
1/4 tspoon oregano (I used dried)
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
pinch of turmeric powder
1 can vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
Salt and black pepper according to taste

Method:
I like to slightly saute the garlic and the spices together and then add it to the crockpot.

Add all the chopped vegetables and the beans to the slow cooker. Then add the spices, broth and water and let it cook. The one I have has only two settings high and low. I set it to ow and let it cook for 5-6 hours.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
This goes to Suganya at Tasty Palettes who is hosting November as Vegan Month.

25 comments:

  1. I have never used a slow cooker. But it sure does come handy. Thanks for participating, Mandira.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira, that is the perfect meal for the cold winter night. Beans make it a perfect one pot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures are too good and soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sloe cookers are the best beans and stews! Looks great Mandira, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandira this looks really good, specially in the winters, wish i could have some now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've always hesitated to get a slow cooker, but this soup is too enticing not to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My god ....That looks so hearty and comforting. Absolutely loved it. Too bad that I don't have a crock pot. Is there an alternative that you can suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow this looks so wholesome and delicious Mandira, I wish I had a crock pot now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an under-utilized slow cooker and this soup looks too good so I'd better get the slow cooker in action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thats awesme dear...i havent used slow cooker....perfect dish for this season....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is what i call delicious soup. My sister have a crockpot and she always say things made in it are delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mandira, i am having serious hunger pangs!! Those pictures are really super-inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, this is pure love in those bowls :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks marvelous! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. *wow*!

    This looks delicious - gots to try it, can't resist a black bean soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. mandira,
    kemon acho, slow cooker soups are real good.It saves the nitrients in the vegeies.
    lovely pics aar winter e to khob hi hearty ,satisfing meal.
    hugs and smiles
    jaya

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had barely clicked the publish button to see your comment,Mandira :)

    Soup looks absolutely nice and I would love to have it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh thats a filling healthy soup. Awesome recipe and I have already bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome looking soup Mandira! the soup is so inviting..:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummyyyy soup looks so comforting

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mandira,
    I was not aware of this slow oooker method until I read this. Could you pls tell which kind of cooker you used?
    Soup looks great, would definitely try this, since the man here always needs such healthy preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the way you have clicked the cam, gud angles....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nothing like having this after a long tired day! Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Suganya - slow cookers make my weekday meals real easy :)

    ISG - Beans do make it a full meal. We have been trying to include it regularly in our meals.

    RK, Asha, Bindiya, Bee - thanks. I've had the crockpot for a few years now and comes in handy for soups and stews. I am yet to try a roast in it.

    Kribha, Namratha, Remya if you don't have a crock pot, you can try the same recipe and cook it on stove top with low heat. It should work as well. Do let me know how it turns out for you.

    Lavanya - I love the easy one pot meals and crock pots are perfect for those recipes :)

    Thanks Happy Cook, Musical, Cynthia, Sher, Kaykat. I love soups during winter.

    Jaya you are right. Crockpot save time and energy and makes one delicious meal :)

    Thanks Bharathy, Mythreyee, Siri, Sagari. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did.

    Seena these are called crockpots or slow cookers and are widely available in retail stores and online. There is a wide range of prices too!

    Thanks Kitchen Scientist, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mandira, that’s a lovely recipe for bean and veggie soup, perfect for those slow cold evenings by the fire, curled up with a good book! Cooking everything from scratch, using only the freshest ingredients available makes a lot of difference to our well being and health! We all know that a healthy lifestyle with healthy eating can contribute towards much more quality in our living, what with the lifestyle diseases rampant today including obesity and heart problems. For some expert tips on healthy eating habits check out our blog at http://knorratseven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...