January 27, 2008

Quinoa with black beans

Photobucket

We were in a mood for a different breakfast to break the monotony of home weekend breakfast of eggs and pancakes. But the last week was so cold that the idea of going out for breakfast/brunch in the freezing weather wasn't appealing either. I had to think quick on my feet, check if we had all the ingredients and then decided to make something different. It was savory quinoa - an ancient grain which has been described as superfood full of all the right ingredients - with black beans, tomatoes and onions. It was a delicious taste which warmed us with a new taste.

And it was easy and quick. While the quinoa was cooking in the microwave, I put the black beans together with onions and tomatoes. The dish was ready in 30 minutes!

Ingredients: (serves 2)
1 cup quinoa
1 can black beans (rinse the beans to rid of excess salt)
1 medium onion- chopped thin
1 big tomato- chopped
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1 green chilli
1 tspoon lime juice
1 tspoon olive oil
cilantro (optional) to garnish
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Cook the quinoa according to the box options. Usually it is 1:2 ratio of grain and water cooked up to 8-10 minutes.

In a saucepan, heat oil and temper it with cumin seeds and the green chilli. Then add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes. Then add the tomatoes and let it cook for 1-2 minutes till they turn soft but no squishy.

Add the black beans, coriander powder, salt and pepper and let it cook on closed lid for another 2-3 minutes. Then add the quinoa and lime juice and mix it all together.

Photobucket

Garnish with cilantro and serve warm for brunch/breakfast with some hot coffee or tea.

21 comments:

  1. Mandira, my poor quinoa has been langushing in my pantry for quite some time now...you've inspired me to take it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds new. Thanks for sharing Mandira!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to go and look in the World market or health food store for Quinoa. Looks great and healthy start for a day too Mandira!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one hearty meal Mandira, looks great. Lot of qunioa dishes on display, must have to buy some and try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this sounds very tasty! I love quinoa but never have enough uses for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats a lovely breakfast looks so deleciousss

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for new quinoa recipes and this one looks awesome. I like that it includes black beans too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great,,,i am a new blogger,plz do see my blog and encourage me

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks delicious Mandira! I tried the quinoa salad from Kanchana's blog once... i think i might still have some for em to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mythreyee, Daily Meals - thanks.

    Sunita, Asha- do try this. It's quick, healthy and filling. :)

    ISG, Fiber- you should find it either in organic or in grains aisle. It has a nutty taste and works well either in sweet or savory flavors.

    Sagari, Lisa - thanks, do try and let me know.

    Dhivya - I will surely visit your blog. Welcome to Ahaar!

    MM- do try and let me know. It turns out really well every time I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I'm a quinoa freak, but I've never tried it with black beans, such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that looks very wholesome and inviting - something i'd definitely like to try. i like quinoa, jai doesn't, but i think he'll like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so delicious!! I never tasted this...Don't know about Quinoa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to buy quinoa, to make this dish. Looks healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. u have given me very good idea here ashwini:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now this is the kind of breakfast I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yummy, though my family still cries when i make quinoa. This recipe seems interesting, will try to finish whats remaining, by trying this one :)
    Archana
    http://www.archanaskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kaykat it makes a good combo- quinoa and black beans.

    Bee it has such good flavors that he will be a convert ;) Let me know how it turns out.

    KF - Quinoa is an ancient grain used in South America. It came over to the US, I think, a couple of decades ago.

    Comfort Food do try, you'll like it.

    Sia thanks, and it's Mandira :)

    Thanks Cynthia.

    Archana really? try this then, I'm sure they will enjoy the flavors and taste of the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thats quite a healthy and different recipe. the pics are awesome...droolworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous12:49 PM

    Hi, was just wondering what is Quinoa called in Hindi, any Indian name to it? Been searching for a while....

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...