March 04, 2008

Arusuvai Friendship Chain - Goda Masala

Lentil Butternut Soup

I was thrilled when Nupur of One Hot Stove wrote to me about being a part of the Arusuvai Friendship Chain. The mystery masala came with a lot of other goodies - delicious caramel, chocolate and nuts brittle, a cute souvenir keychain and a beautiful hand-made card. Everything looked and tasted absolutely great. Thanks Nupur!

Arusuvai Friendship Chain was started by The Yum Blog and Bhags and Bharati where bloggers send "mystery" ingredients to each other. Now who can refuse this exciting offer to taste new ingredients and cook with it.

Photobucket

Now back to the mystery ingredient, as soon as I opened the masala packet, I could immediately smell the coconut and the cloves in the masala. Hmm, what could this be? So I did my little research and was confident that it was Kolhapuri Masala. I wrote to Nupur, and guess what, it wasn't Kolhapuri Masala. It's Goda Masala!

Almost immediately, I wanted to make something using the masala. It was the middle of the week, and let's say choices were limited. I opened the refrigerator and took out the lentils, butternut squash puree and decided to make a simple soup using the masala. About the flavors, I was delighted by the combination. The sweetness of the squash when combined with coconut, cloves, dagad phool, sesame seeds spice mix gave the soup a delicious, delicate flavor. Alternatively, one can always mix a little rice in the soup and make this into a complete meal.

Ingredients: (serves 2-3)
1 cup boiled dal (I used toor)
1 cup cooked butternut squash puree
1 tspoon goda masala
1/2 tspoon mustard seeds
1 dry red chilli
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tspoon oil
1 cup water
1 tbspoon lime juice (for garnish)

Method:
Heat the oil in a pan and temper it with mustard seeds and red chilli. Then add the lentils and cook it for a couple of minutes. Then add the butternut squash puree and add water as needed. Add turmeric powder, salt and goda masala and let it cook for 4-5 minutes till everything mixes well.

Lentil Butternut Soup

Serve with lime.

A surprise ingredient is going out to Asha at Foodie's Hope and Linda at Out of the Garden. Thank you for playing along ladies. Watch out for the postman :)

17 comments:

  1. Ghoda masala? never heard of it! that is awesome lighting for the pic though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful way to use goda masala madira. i simply loved this recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goda masala does taste best in the context of some sweetish flavors, IMHO. Your use of sweet butternut squash in this soup/dal is so innovative!
    Thank you for playing along :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goda masala (not Ghoda=horse!:D) sounds great Mandira, dish looks yummy.
    Thanks for tagging me.Looking forward to my surprise too. I will have to make it within 10 days, going on Spring break this month. I am sure I will make it before that. I tagged 2 blogger friends to send the Arusuvai too!:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandira, I'm not familiar with this masala...but the ingredients you mentioned it contained is sure to let out amazing aromas..and your dish must have done just that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a pretty new recruit to the goda masala myself and I must say, I love it's unique flavor. Dal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard about this masala, but i can imagine the aroma when you opend up the pack.
    Dish looks really good and i love the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice one..very cool way of using goda masala..

    ReplyDelete
  9. goda masala is very new to me ,nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goda masala with butternut squash-lentil soup, that's so innovative! Must have been so aromatic all over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goda masala is a very interesting masala, you've use it in a nice way Mandira:) I discovered Goda Masala when I had Marathi friends and neighbours in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mandira, Goda masala is one of my favorite spice mixes. You've used it very creatively in the soup. Looks absolutely spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Nag this was one day of sunlight after a week of grey skies!

    Sia - thanks. We enjoyed the flavor too.

    Nupur - thanks for the delicious treats. I loved the flavors of the goda masala. I have bookmarked more recipes to try :)

    Asha- thanks for the correction :) your surprise is on its way.

    Sunita - it was a delight to see how well all the flavors mixed together.

    Vani - welcome to the club! isn't it such a delight to try new masalas ans recipes?

    Happy cook yes, it was familiar and somehow different all at once. It's fun to try smelling to guess the ingredients :)

    Thanks Srivalli, Sagari .

    Musical - thanks, the soup was a mix of sweetness and a light flavor and with a dash of lime - yum!

    Thanks Namratha, Vaishali. It was so good, I have bookmarked more recipes to try with goda masala.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delish! Squah in tuvar is something i have not tried. Next around I will try tuvar and squash.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello sweet Mandira, got your package just now. We just came home from the usual Saturday shopping exhausted and your mystery was waiting for me! YAY! Well..I can't talk much now because I am on "sugar high"!!! ;D
    It was so yummy, thanks for taking time to make it for us. I will be cooking with the mystery one, will post next week sometime!:)
    Happy Women's day, enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This masala new to me,but sure it adds to the over all taste of the Dal Mandira,
    looks so yum
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have been hearing lately so much of this masala...esp in Anita's (a mad tea party)..
    Love the blend of ingredients!!!
    So happy to see arusuvai going round very well outside India :)..After all Mandira ,we should thank you for 2 things..

    1.Taking up arusuvai with much interest

    2.For the great idea of Amish starter you had put a start to a few months earlier :)...that was our inspiration,sweetie :)

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...