March 11, 2008

TSP Spices Review: Cauliflower & Fish Fry

Tsp Spices

A few weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised when Sheena Simpson of Melissa Libby & Associates contacted me. They represent several food-related organizations, and she offered to send me a couple of spice and ingredient samples for review. I readily agreed to this great offer, and in a few days my box arrived. It was Spice Basics box from TSP Spices.

Tsp Spices

It was a beautifully packaged box with six tin boxes - turmeric, chilli (mild), cumin, coriander, fennel and ginger powder. Each spice came in its own tin box, carefully put in one teaspoon packets. The back of each box explained the spice flavor and even suggested pairing options for it. Let me tell you, I am already thinking about my Christmas gifts!

Before I cooked up a storm with the spices, I took a peek at the company history and mission. Tsp Spices was started by Katie and Sara when they found themselves at turning points. Their website has information on spices, recipes and factoids. It is also well designed and informative. The star of the company, undoubtedly, is the spice collection and the best part about the spice collection is that everything is organic.

I decided on two recipes using spices from the box.

Cauliflower Stir Fry

Cauliflower stir fry

The first thing I made was a simple cauliflower stir fry which brought out the spices and gave the cauliflowers their beautiful color too! The only other spices I used were mustard seeds and cumin seeds to temper the oil.

Ingredients: (Serves 2-3)
1 pack frozen cauliflower (defrosted)
1/2 tspoon mustard seeds
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon chilli powder
1 tspoon coriander powder
1 tspoon cumin powder
1 tspoon ginger powder
Salt to taste
1 tbspoon oil

Method:
Heat the oil and temper it with mustard and cumin seeds. Then add the cauliflower and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Then add the ginger powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and mix it together. Add a little water (about 2 tbspoons) and cook closed lid on medium heat for 7-8 min till the florets are cooked.

Serve Warm with chapati or rice.

This is my entry for A Taste of Yellow hosted by Barbara of Winos and Foodies. Thanks Barbara. To see my last year entry click here.

Soy Sauce Marinated Fish Fry

Photobucket

The second thing I made was a spicy fish fry. I mixed the spices in soy sauce and marinated the fish for 2-3 hours. It was just delicious!

Ingredients: (Serves 2)
2 white fish fillets ( I used sea bass)
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon chilli powder
1 tspoon coriander powder
1 tspoon cumin powder
1 tspoon ginger powder
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbspoon soy sauce
2 tbspoon oil

Method:
Mix all the spices in soy sauce and make a paste. Marinate the fish fillets with the paste and marinate the fish for 2-3 hours.

Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry fish in a pan, about 2-3 minutes on each side.

Serve warm. We enjoyed ours for dinner with cucumber salad.

13 comments:

  1. WOW!! Those boxes of spice is really attractive, lucky girl! I like the fish fry, looks yum!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks awesome , never tried making cauliflower alone . should try it now your way :). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cauliflower looks bright and yellowy, the tsp spices should be delight no worries about opening and letting the flavors waft away

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little spice tins look so elegant.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the boxes.
    And loved the colour of the cauliflmower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the packaging. It makes such great sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look beautiful. Much better than the higgledy, piggledy bags and jars I have cluttering my cupboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks delicious...never tired califlower alone..must try

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those tin boxes look so cute! Waiting for your other dishes with the spices!!

    www.zaiqa.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Posted the Arusuvai today at Aroma!:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...loved the fish fry.Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow a gorgeous colour for the cauliflower. Thanks for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all - I really enjoyed reviewing the spice box and cooking with the spices. They were perfect for the recipes that I made. I am looking forward to new recipes to use the spices :)

    Barbara- Thank you for hosting A taste of yellow. Looking forward to the roundup.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...