April 22, 2008

Almond & Walnut Brittle

Photobucket

I realized that I had not posted anything sweet in a while. So I put my thinking cap on. That's when I remembered a recent episode on AZN network, a channel which no longer exists. In the episode, Chef Anjum Anand had made walnut brittle as a surprise treat. It looked delicious and simple, but what caught my attention was a little sidenote.

Anjum Anand mentioned that jaggery was given to people who worked in mines and dusty places and that helped clean their lungs. I was surprised by this and did a search of my own to find supporting documents. I even found a study that reiterates her point! I had no idea that jaggery has such recuperative powers. I enjoy my jaggery in nalen gurer payesh (rice pudding) and narkaler nadu (coconut laddus), and it was time to try this new healthy dessert :)

I added some almonds and a tiny bit of saffron in the dessert for additional flavor and it tasted delicious. Here is how I did it.

Ingredients:
2/3 cup almonds
2/3 cup walnuts
1 1/2 cup jaggery (adjust it to your taste)
pinch of saffron
1/2 cup water

Method:
Roast the nuts on a low flame an then set it aside to cool. In the meantime, heat jaggery and water in a thick bottomed pan till the jaggery melts and starts bubbling. Mix well and heat till you get the jaggery mix to one strand thickness.

Put the nuts in and mix well together and cook it on low flame for 3-4 minutes till everything mixes well.

Photobucket

Cool on a plate and serve :)

30 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to get a taste of this brittle and it sure was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the first pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I loved it when I saw this in Indira's place...looks so yummy madira!...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have usually seen this in sweet shops but never tried it. Maybe I will now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks good Mandira..never fails to impress, right?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so yummy... my husband loves it with cashews.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. walnut chikki... I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Madhuram9:41 AM

    It looks so tempting and the plus is it's easy to make also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks mandira,I really appreciate it.
    Renu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photo, Mandira! Looks wonderful and with health benefits, you really can't go wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooooh, would love that crumbled up on some vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *wow*!

    Mandira, such a crime that I can't get some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So this is the brittle that is making rounds. Will sure try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are there cashew nuts too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pictures of this dessert look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg! i KNOW thats one yummy snack!

    ReplyDelete
  17. sure looks heavenly mandira

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look at that! As an ex-smoker, I would love to enjoy some unexpected health benefits in my sweets. Heck, I'd make this anyway; candied nuts are a fave with me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. nandita8:58 AM

    I;ve always preferred chikkis made from jaggery as against sugar! That's an interesting study you mention...I'm sure this tasted yummy, perfect when crushed on some vanilla icecream :) It's so hot in Bombay that I can only think of cold foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks absolutely divine...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh mandira, that looks positively mouthwatering!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Nupur, Divya, Vikram, TBC, Srivalli, Sra, Mansi, Cinnamon, Raga, Sunita, Madhuram, Renu, Kalai, Alpa, KayKat, Suganya, Meeso, Nags, Nandita, Susan, Siri, Mallika, Linda . I had no idea it was so easy to make and tastes so good. The tiny bit of saffron combined with jaggery makes it a heady combination!

    I agree Alpa, brittle crumbled on ice-cream would be delicious :)

    Suganya, The walnut jar had a few cashews at the bottom, so you see a couple in the picture. But it was primarily walnuts and almonds.

    Susan, Nandita - I had no idea that jaggery was so good for us. And tastes great too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous2:44 PM

    Mandira sent this to me via mail! And they are every bit delicious as they look :)

    Durga

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have tried this recipe using a wide variety of nuts and it amazes me for never in my wildest dream did it even cross my mind that I can do this with almond! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. N2N: thanks. Do try and let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brilliant recipe! Simple, cheap and uber filled with flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sweet! Will try this out.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...