April 30, 2008

Kadai Chicken curry

Photobucket

Kadai Chicken is one of the recipes that is probably available in every restaurant in India and in the US. And that is where my food memory for this dish originated. We never made it at home, always ordering it outside.

After eating it innumerable times at various places, I was ready to make it at home. And when I picked some organic chicken from the farmer's market, the time was right. It's fairly easy to make, I found some recipes with less gravy, but since I like my chicken curry, it has a thicker gravy. The marinated chicken was soft and succulent, the overall flavor fragrant and delicious. We enjoyed ours with some naan and a cucumber, onion salad.

I am getting ready to order another chicken at farmer's market and it will be chicken tikka masala the next time.

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs Chicken
2 medium onions - finely chopped
2-3 tomatoes - finely chopped
1 medium green pepper- finely chopped
1 green chilli - slit
1 dry red chilli
1 1/2 tbsp Yogurt
1 1/2 tspoon Ginger-Garlic paste
1 tspoon cumin seeds
1" cinnamon stick
2-3 cloves
2 green cardamoms
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 tspoon coriander powder
2/3 tspoon garam masala powder
1 tspoon cumin powder
bunch cilantro - finely chopped for garnish
Salt to taste
2 tbspoon oil

Method:
Clean and marinate chicken with salt, and half of turmeric, chilli and garam masala powder. I usually marinate it for 4-5 hours and then lightly saute the chicken and set it aside.

In a deep pan, heat oil and temper it with cumin seeds, red chilli, green chilli, cinnamon, cloves and cardamons. Let it sputter. Then add the ginger garlic paste.

Add the onions and saute till the onion turns brown. Then add the tomatoes and green peppers and cook on closed lid till the tomatoes turn soft.

At this point, I take out the ingredients and puree it roughly to a thick paste for a smoother curry, but you can also keep it chunky.

Add the chicken pieces along with the rest of the masalas - turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, and cook for 15-20 minutes. Then add the yogurt, salt and let it cook for another 15-20 minutes till the chicken is cooked. Add 1/2 cup water if needed.


Photobucket

Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan or rice. This is my entry to Monthly Mingle: Bollywood Cooking hosted by Meeta at What's for Lunch, Honey? Thanks Meeta for hosting!

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira,that looks so yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is actually quite similar to the way I make chicken. Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks too good and I am sure going to try this.....too irresistible :)

    How ve u been?

    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazingly good!! Cannot wait to try this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful the kadai chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks awesome! I am bookmarking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I have been cooking from other blogs these days, watch out for me to steal one of your's too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my this looks like one of those scooping and licking off every drop dish. I love it. Thanks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. kadai chicken is a restaurant staple and u make it look so easy!.nice gravy.will surely try it soon.is it still cold there? spring is here yet not fully here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had Kadai chicken after I moved to US... Thanks for this nice and easy recipe Mandira!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mandira, I made this for y'day's dinner and we both liked it.....I skipped the stage of mildly frying meat in oil coz of oil fear..:P but am sure that would have made the dish more tastier....next time i think I will really brown the onion as the colour was slightly mild.....Again thanks a lot for this recipe.....:)

    Enjoy ur weekend....:)

    Shn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sunita, Jyothsna, Kalai, Cham, Meeso, Sig . it came out really well and I am sure to make it again soon :)

    Shn - I am glad it came out well. I like to brown my chicken, it gives it an added flavor.

    Asha now I am curious... what recipe are you trying? :)

    Meeta thanks for hosting MM Bollywood Cooking, this was the perfect chance for the kadai chicken :)

    Shaheen the weather has been unpredictable, but the trees are in full bloom. Flowers and leaves everywhere... bad for pollen allergies :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2:25 PM

    How did I miss this yummy post ?
    This is really a starry dish for the event.

    sandeepa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chiken curry looks yummy and tasty i cant wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  16. did you make your own naan bread? i am curious: do you traditionally bake them in a hearth? will it be different to taste from those baked in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Sandeepa, we've made this a few times now.

    Thanks abhijeet abhijeet.

    Arfi - it is traditionally baked in the hearth. For lack of one, I have baked my naans before and have also tried them on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rinkie12:27 PM

    I am going to make this dish today!!! I looked around everywhere but none of the websites give the recipe with so much detailing and right blend of spices! It sounds yummy and it will turn out yummy! I am sure! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to a picture from you :)

      Delete
  19. Khadijah1:13 PM

    This recipe turned out perfectly! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Khadijah for trying.

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...