April 13, 2008

Rajma Revisited

I didn't think it would be so hard to do a post after a brief hiatus... The longer I postponed it, the harder it seemed. But after two weeks, all my reasons "I'm tired, or busy, or have nothing to write about..." have been used up and I was beginning to miss blogging. Then I met a few friends who asked why I haven't posted in a while. That gave me the necessary impetus. So I'm back with a new promise of being more regular from now on.

I have several new recipes to write about and hopefully will get to them in the next posts, but in this one I want to revisit rajma.

Kidney beans is regular in our menus. In fact, we make it often for our weeknight dinners. It's quite easy and delicious. And I like to add vegetables to the curry to make it nutritious. While potato is my favorite and you can read my earlier post here, I have been adding peppers the last few times and think it may be the winning combination. The addition of peppers lends a sweetness an smokiness to the recipe, that enhances the flavor of the kidney beans cooked in a tomato and onion based curry.

For this dinner, we also had potato podimas with rotis. The combination was fulfilling.

Rajma with Green Peppers

Photobucket

Ingredients:
1 can Kidney Beans
2 green peppers (chopped small)
1 medium onion
2 clove garlic (grated)
1 cube ginger (grated)
1 medium tomato
1 red chilli
1 Green Cardamom
Pinch of asafoetida
1/4 tspoon Cumin seeds
1/4 tspoon Turmeric powder
1/4 tspoon Chilli powder
1/2 tspoon Coriander powder
1/2 tspoon Garam Masala
1 tspoon Cooking Oil
Salt to taste

Method:
Put the kidney beans in big sieve and wash to take away the extra salt and preservatives. Heat oil and temper it with cumin seeds, red chilli and green cardamom.

Next, put in the ginger, garlic and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the onions and fry till they turn translucent. Add tomatoes, green peppers and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes closed lid on medium heat. Then add the kidney beans.

Mix the powder masalas together in a bowl and add. Stir fry till it all mixes together. Add about 1/4 cup water and close the lid. Let it cook for about 5-6 minutes on medium.

Add salt and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes till it has turned to a thick curry. Garnish with cilantro.

Potato Podimas

Photobucket

I learnt it from Aswin, and love this simple delicious recipe. But I have to tell you that somehow his podimas always tastes better than mine, even though we make it the same way! Here is how we make it.

Ingredients:
2-3 medium potatoes
1 large green chili
1 tspoon minced ginger
5-6 curry leaves
1 tspoon mustard seeds
pinch of asafetida
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon red chili powder
Juice of 1/2 lime or lemon
salt to taste

Method:
Boil the potatoes and mash them roughly. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and keep it aside.

In the meantime, heat oil and temper it with mustard seeds, green chilli, curry leaves, and asafetida.

Add ginger paste and saute. Then add the potato and mix it well. You can also squeeze some lime/lemon juice into this.

Serve warm with rotis.

19 comments:

  1. Rajma with Capsicum.. yumm must be delicious... and the potato curry also looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iam sure this will taste nice wth capsicum smell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandira, that is one yummy plate of food...btw, we too had rajma over the weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love podimas. I was always outnumbered by siblings who wanted crispy potatoes, so I got it very rarely. Now I make it all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Rajma, and i tend to make the same recipe over and over. Will try this with capsicum as it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding bell peppers sounds awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pic..love the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rajma & capsicum is nice combo. Lovely.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice variation mandira, and glad to have you back!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mandira, first here. Rajma looks delicious, very nice recipe. Nice pic as well:))

    Plz do visit @

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!love rajma:))great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. The combo looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting combination, the rajma and the capsicum! Will try it after all the beans I have now are exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love kidney beans a lot as my mom always cooked them and put them in salads when I was a kid. It's funny how someone can make the food the exact same as someone else but it never tastes as good. The pictures look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm ... podimas makes me happy! I know what you mean about the flavours, I don't think I could ever make it the way my mum does.

    I've never tried a rajma-capsicum combination, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hmm rajma.. been a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL, this intro made me laugh, since I am going through the same pain now.. The inertia has set in for me too after the vacation... I am bloghopping to get back into the mood... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks Cinnamon, Smn, Sunita . We do enjoy the combination.

    Arundathi - It is such a simple dish with so much flavor, it's perfect anytime.

    Happy cook, Kalai, Divya Vikram, Vanamala, Mansi, Madhavi, Divya, Cham - thanks. Do try, it makes a great combination and goes well with rotis.

    Sra, Nags - do try and let me know how it turns out.

    Meeso - thanks, it's quick and simple. But tastes delicious. It's perfect for a weeknight dinner.

    Kaykat I know, I am still an apprentice in waiting when it comes to podimas ;)

    Sig - I know the dilemma, hopefully it's temporary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...