May 22, 2008

A-2 Farmer's Market # 1

One of the first things I looked for when we moved to Ann Arbor last year was Farmer's Market and was delighted to find one not too far from home. Located in the historic Kerrytown District in an open air atmosphere, it is the perfect place to browse the wide selection of locally grown vegetables, fruits, flowers, vegetable plants, herbs, jams, honey, baked goods, eggs, various meats like chicken, lamb, beef, jewelry, furniture, dried flowers, pottery and candles.

I didn't go to the Farmers market during winter, but went back this past week inspired by Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable Miracle: A Year of Food Life. In one of the chapters she mentions that the first things to come in Farmers Market after a long hard winter are greens of all kinds and asparagus. So imagine my surprise when I went to Farmers Market and see vendors with different kinds of greens and fresh asparagus.

Farmer's Market

From now on, I am hoping to visit the Farmers Market every week and will document everything that I buy. This week I bought a bunch of mixed greens, fresh asparagus along with locally grown, antibiotic free chicken and small cilantro and basil plants.

I grilled the asparagus and made a fresh salad with the greens. I used the chicken for chicken tikka masala. Everything was gone in a couple of days. It was fresh and absolutely delicious. I am ready for week 2.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have a market near you. Here in Seattle we are very lucky to have a farmer's market in some neighborhood almost every day of the week. A couple of them are year-round. Have fun on your next trip. I can't wait to see what is available over in Ann Arbor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:19 PM

    My friend used to lived in Ann Arbor too. We used to visit her. I love Ann Arbor town. I love farmer's market. Everything fresh. Keep posting.

    Radha

    ReplyDelete
  3. first time in ur blog and u have a very nice blog i must say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mandira...how lovely!...will be a pleasure to see your documentation!...I guess it will be a wonderful experience going to farmer's market..you guys talk so much abt it, that I do want to have one like that here...":)...of course I remember them from my childhood, but again it may not have the same outlook right...glad to see such fresh veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats so cool... i like s basil plant...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Farmer's market is also where you can make some interesting discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. farmer's market are wonderful to visit....I love it, the produce is so fresh, and sometimes they are kind enough to give out samples too.
    I always come home with the trunk full of goodies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. think first time,..at ur plce...nice blog,..nd thanks for sharing bout marketplace

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to go there too, will open shortly. Check the Asp dish at Aroma, new recipe to try. I made your Rajma last week, linked at FH, it was delcious. Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to school in Ann Arbor - brings back such fond memories of Kerrytown. My favorite was the breads at Zingermann's and the lovely ginger lemon tea at Sweetwaters Cafe!! :D thanks for bringing back those memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love going to farmers market here too.
    Here it is every wenesday and saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love going to farmers markets... We have a couple here in K-zoo and I like to meet the local farmers. Can't wait to see what you find :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree- that is the best thing about summer: the bounty in the Farmer's markets! I am looking forward to your series.
    Those greens do look fantastic, and the herbs will give you fresh garnishes all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for your comments. Even though the market meets twice a week, I can only manage my trip on Saturdays. I hope to bring out the various aspects of the farmers market with the posts.
    The greens, asparagus and the chicken were a big hit with friends visiting that weekend, and were gone in no time!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...