May 13, 2008

Extending Spring with Cake and Compote

river-1

I went for a walk near the Huron River to make the most of the gorgeous weather before the rain comes our way. As I headed over the little bridge I saw a geese family with several small babies huddling near their mother. They seemed to be enjoying the beautiful weather too with a late lunch :)

Photobucket

I snapped my camera out, ready to take their photos. But they were to far away for the lens. So I inched closer. Instantly, I realized it was a bad move.

The geese were possessive, keeping a watchful eye on me. Every time I took a step, they would cock their head towards me with a warning look "keep away". I knew I wasn't going to get any closer. So, I decided to call it a day.

river-2

I wasn't ready to go home yet, so I focussed my attention on the trees which were hastily giving up their spring decor for luscious green leaves and the tiny flowers littering the grass.

I came back with spring on my mind. At the end, I decided on a simple cake with blackberry and strawberry compote. I have been using mostly whole wheat for for my cake for some time now. It turns out a little more denser than regular cake, but still has all the taste of the cake.

Photobucket

Method:
For Cake:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tspoon baking powder
1/2 tspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 stick softened butter
3 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

For Compote:
1 cup strawberries sliced thinly
1 cup blackberries sliced thinly (I reserved a few for decoration)
3 tbspoons orange juice
½ cup sugar

Method:
For Cake:

Preheat the oven to 325 degF. Butter and flour the cake pan and keep aside.

Sift together the flour and 1/2 cup of sugar. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy. Then add the butter and salt and keep beating till it all mixes well together. Be careful to not let any lumps.

Add the rest of the sugar to the egg mixture, a little at a time, and then beating so that it mixes well. Then add the vanilla extract. Now add the flour mixture into the egg mixture folding it in a little at a time like the sugar. Mix well till it forms a thick cake batter with no lumps.

Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake it for 45 to 50 minutes, till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool the cake, and take it out of the pan.

For Compote:
In a medium bowl, combine the berries, orange juice, and sugar. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for atleast 3-4 hours. Stir the mixture just before serving.

Photobucket

Compote is usually served separately with a slice of cake. I put some on the cake for decoration and reserved the rest for serving.

It looked and tasted delicious, the perfect combination of light and tart taste of spring.

25 comments:

  1. Berry compote always makes me drool...it goes great with cakes doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely nature pics! Love the berry compote on top of the cake. Looks perfect for spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for the goose and gooselings but perfectly happy with the picture of the flowers. The whole wheat flour taste in a cake grows on you doesn't it? Looks lovely with the compote. As far the Shrimp - you are welcome anytime for a huge meal leave alone a shrimp ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks really good with the compote. I am a big berry fan,I got to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious compote on the top, beautiful nature click too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. spring pics are gr8....wheat flour cake is a healthy idea.would love to c u on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi mandira, i liked your nature walk photographs. Very calm and beautiful. My local organic food store sells a whole wheat cake flour. I also liked your flavor combination in the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pictures. And like the idea of using wheat flour in the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandira, those berries look so tempting...lovely cake too..i guess using atta makes this more healthy!..great..when I decide to bake, will try this one out....and those geese family..wow..how I wish I could show them to my kids!..they love the noise that I make for them and say its the goose calling..heheheh...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. berries are always a great addition to cakes, and what-flour makes it guilt-free too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mandira, I lovbe the colours of spring...the cake loks perfect and yes, whole wheat is the way to go...i love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cake is fab with fruit on top, healthy and yummy!:)
    Love the photos Mandira, waiting fi=or Summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures Mandira! Cake looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pictures are beautiful! I love that cake too, I think my kids would gobble it all up.

    cheers,
    trupti
    The Spice who Loved Me

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been doing that too- going for a walk with my camera.:D
    I only recently discovered this nature trail close to where we are though we've been here for almost a year now!

    Cake with compote looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely post! beautiful pictures and yummy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. spring in ur area really looks pretty.. i have been using whole wheat in my cakes too but haven't yet been satisfied with the taste. i will be happy the day when my family eats it and doesn't ask "is this a healthy cake?"a nice way of asking if its whole wheat.!! so will try urs and let u know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice photography..and the cake looks just elegant with the berry topping

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those pics are wonderful, I remember the pic of the stream you took soon after moving to Michigan last year.
    Your cake looks so rich and moist and the compote is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos of Ann Arbor :)

    I'm looking forward to summer when I can pick some berries to make compotes like this. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it all - the spring pics, the cake, the compote. You feed our souls so well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Donno which to choose the best.... The cake or the spring pictures. Both looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. spring has it own charm, with all the fresh fruits and vegetables....nice berry compote

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nature walks are always so relaxing, and getting to see cute little animals along the way is pretty fun too...top it all of with this amazing cake with colorful berries, and you've got the makings for a perfect day :).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohh my drroling the cake and the campote are like made for each other.... lovely recipe... yum yum....

    Do check my blog too...:) Would love to have ur comments...

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...