June 21, 2008

A-2 Farmer's Market # 3

The black walnuts I bought at the last Farmer's market were tough nuts to crack. So I had to do some research and soak the nuts in water overnight to soften them a bit. The taste is much more intense, little bitter, smoky and delicious. Learn more about black walnut here. I've learnt to use it sparingly as it can be overpowering. :)

I was gone for a couple of weeks, so when I came back I headed to Ann Arbor Farmers Market this Saturday . And I wasn't disappointed. There were many new offerings.

aa#3

I picked up some fresh organic red chard and am making some red chard dal as I write this post. A big bunch of fresh radishes, I ate some raw and they are juicy and delicious. But the highlight is fresh strawberries. You can even see some mud on some of them, it can't get any fresher! I could hardly wait to eat them and popped some in my mouth as soon as I cleaned them. They were tart, tangy, sweet and burst of flavors. Time to look up some strawberry desserts!

9 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of Farmer's market. Buy fresh eat fresh and BUY Local! Coming to organic, localy bought produce is almost organic... ofcourse the seed should be organic to pass USDA but local is always fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could'nt make it FM today:(.Will have to see if there are any close by tomorrow

    Just love going to the farmer's mkt

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see you back home, Mandira! Looking forward to your strawberry delights and maybe a few pics from your travels, too? :)

    Chard dal sounds really good. I am growing plain green chard -- the ruby red variety is so much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you posting again.
    how was your holiday , kothaye giyechile , Badi te dekha korte ?
    share some pics of traveling also , will love to see it ..
    hugs and smiles
    jaya

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous bright radishes and strawberries! Can't wait to see what you make with them :)
    Perhaps some radish raita or radish sambar?
    So what did you end up making with te black walnuts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi There....
    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fresh radishes and strawberries!
    I am a big fan of Farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to see more than just potted flowers and herbs at the Farmer's market. The past couple of weeks, I could really feel the energy of everyone there and see in their faces how happy they were to be outside with all this colorful produce around.

    The mango tart looks nice - I'll have to try it with the ataulfo mangoes that I like so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was growing up, we used to run over black walnuts with the family car to crack them open. A messy, frustrating business, what w/ the staining, but intoxicating in recipes.

    Those berries and radishes are so rich looking, you know they are going to be just as gorgeous to cook with.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 9 years now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...