July 24, 2008

Celebration with Badaam Halwa!

halwa-1

The last month has been busy with traveling to India, catching up with work, and then spending time with parents in the US. In this celebration and traveling, I missed a milestone of Ahaar. My blog turned TWO-years last month! This calls for a sweet celebration, doubly sweet for the belated blog anniversary :)

What started as an experiment has become a passion over the years. Part diary of what I cook at home, part exploration of other food-related interests, the blog has contributed to our better eating habits. And over the years, I have blogged about the unexplored, the elaborate traditional and the simple everyday food.

It would not be possible without the support of the blogging community and Indian food lovers. So THANK YOU for reading Ahaar, trying my recipes and for your enthusiastic, and informative comments. You make it worth every minute!

So to make it extra special, I made some Badaam Halwa, the same Halwa I sent Asha of Foodie's Hope, and she talks about in her post.

It turns out fabulous every time I make it.

Ingredients:
2 cups almonds
1 1/2 cup sugar (adjust it to taste)
1/2 tspoon saffron
1 tbspoon MTR Badam Halwa mix
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
1 tspoon ghee
1/2 tspoon cardamom powder - for garnish

Method:
Crush the Almonds in a food processor to a fine powder. I like to leave it a little chunky as it gives texture to the halwa. Soak the saffron in milk and keep it aside.

Heat the ghee in a deep bottomed pan and then add the almond powder. Saute it for a couple of minutes till you start getting the nutty aroma.

Then add sugar and milk and let it cook on medium heat. Once the mix has come to a boil, add a tbspoon of MTR Badam Halwa mix and let it simmer on medium low heat on closed lid for 5- 6 min. Add about half of the saffron to the Halwa and let it cook for another 8-10 min. It should become a thick mix, but not completely dry. Add the rest of the saffron, mix and take it off the heat.

Photobucket

Garnish with cardamom, some crushed almonds. Let it cool and serve.

Since saffron is part of a flower, this is going to Soul Food who is hosting JFI:Flower Power this month.

24 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to "Ahaar" and wishing you many delicious times ahead!
    I am bookmarking this recipe for the next festive event. It looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you Mandira and Aswin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandira- sorry about bothering you again- do you know what is in the MTR Badam Halwa mix? I am wondering if I can substitute something for it instead of going out and buying this mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nupur Thank you. I have been making it for some time now, but forget to take a picture every time. About the recipe, you can add a tbspoon of condensed milk or evaporated milk and it would be the same. :)

    the good life - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear Ahaar turns 2 :) Wish many more happy Blogging...What a sweet way to celebrate it ! Love ur Badam Halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the blogiversary! the halwa looks so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks soooo delicious!!! happy birthday to a fantastic blog. wish you and aswin many more years of wonderful blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats and Wish "Ahaar" a very happy birthday!! The halwa looks so very yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS on completing 2 yrs of blogging and wish to see many more

    Badam Halwa looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to the lovely "Ahaar" !
    The badaam halwa looks like the perfect celebration sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Ahaar!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect sweet for the celebration. Congrats! It has been fun and wishing many more blog years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mandira, congrats and wishes for many more happy blogging..

    btw, can you check my blog post on food blog and let me know where to list you...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'd love some halwa now!! congrats on completing 2 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to both of you! And wishing many more such years ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love almonds. Glad i found your recipe.
    Congratulations on completing 2 years of blogging:)
    I 'm getting started.
    Yasmeen
    HealthNut

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on completing 2 years in Blogging ..
    Badaam Halva looks delicious
    hugs and smiles
    jaya

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Blog Birthday! The Halwa looks so good, wish I could celebrate by eating some :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. let me be very clear: nobody made badaam halwa like my mother. may god rest her soul.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy blog birthday. Here's to many more. The badam halwa is perfect for celebrating. But do you know what goes in the mix? I'd love to make it from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. nothing to beat this sweet preparation.
    http://www.decisioncare.org

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy 2nd birthday and here's a wish for many more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you all for your wishes. I am looking forward to another year of ahaar.

    Mallika Thanks, as I mentioned to Nupur, you can substitute the tablespoon of MTR mix with condensed or evaporated milk. Do let me know how it turns out!

    Radman - I am sure your mom's halwa was good, but mine is equally delicious.

    Srivalli - I saw your blog list. I will drop a comment on your blog list!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks yummy, am sure it tastes yummy too

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...