July 04, 2008

Strawberry Jam

strawberry jam-2

Remember the strawberries from the Farmer's Market? After I had my fill of fresh strawberries, I still had a good bunch left. And after dreaming about strawberry shortcake and other pies and tarts, I decided on trying something different, something I have never tried before. "How about jam?," the little voice inside me egged me on, so I looked around and found a simple and delicious-looking recipe on Arabic Bites.

I adjusted it to my two cups strawberries (which is what I had left) and added some ingredients of my own -- lemon zest and pinch of clove powder. It came out fabulous! I wanted to eat the entire bottle as it came out of the stove, but am saving some for weekend breakfast :)

Here is how I made it.

strawberry jam

Ingredients:
2 cups Strawberries cleaned and sliced
1 cup sugar
Juice of 1/4 lemon
zest of 1/2 lemon
pinch of clove powder

Method:
Boil the sliced strawberries on a thick-bottomed pan.

Once it starts boiling add the sugar, lemon juice and 3/4 cup water. Let it cook over medium low heat and closed lid.

When the mixture starts to thicken, add the lemon zest and clove powder and let it cook for another 10-15 minutes on medium low heat without the lid.

Keep checking till you feel the consistency is right. Take it off the heat and let it cool. Then pour it in sterilized bottles.

strawberry jam-3

Serve with butter and bread (my favorite combination) or make up your own.

This is going to MBP:Less is More being hosted by Nupur at One Hot Stove. Great Idea Nupur! Monthly Blog Patrol was started by Coffee at The Spice Cafe

With the rest of the ingredients, I made

radish raita
radish & onion raita, and

collard dal
chard dal.

It made one delicious lunch.

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely looking jam...and that bread peeking in at the back looks great too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely jam...I make mine in the microwave...home mades are the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made chard dal yesterday too. Same pinch :D
    Mandira, that jam is so thick, dark and absolutely luscious! Thank you for sending in a fantastic entry. I also discovered this interesting blog, Arabic bites thanks to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome looking jam Mandira, I would love some bread,butter,jam.

    Swiss Chard Dal is the best don't you think? It tastes great in sambhar too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious jam recipe.
    Reminds me of the days when I would go strawberry picking with my kids in Michigan and come home and make jam and home made bread...it would all be gone in a trice. What happy memories your picture and recipe evoked.
    When you can spare a minute, would you visit my newbie site, http://paytpooja.com and leave a comment?
    Thanks,
    Geeta

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like some really yummy jam :). What a great way to use those strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yum! nothing beats strawberry jam made in your own kitchen. perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arundhati - thanks, it certainly made for a delicious breakfast!

    Sunita - microwave jam sounds very interesting. I will have to check it out!

    Nupur - thanks :D It did turn out delicious and was gone in a week. Now I am hoping to make a blueberry preserve. I also have another recipe for MBP!

    ISG - I really enjoy chard dal, but haven't tried it in sambar as yet. Will give it a try this weekend :)

    Geeta - Welcome to ahaar. That sounds like a lot of fun! I will be visiting petpooja soon :)

    Sophie - I was thrilled that it came out this delicious, and have a long list of jams to try :D

    Meeta - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:17 PM

    Did you mash the strawberries at all? It looks so smooth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anon, I chopped the strawberries and the jam was a little chunky. I love it that way :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...