August 25, 2008

Blueberry Yogurt Cake

cake

We recently celebrated my mother-in-law's birthday. Despite her protests, I decided to bake a cake for her. With my niece as my assistant for baking the cake, our first task was to identify a recipe. So after deciding upon Blueberry Yogurt cake, we got all the ingredients together in the afternoon when everyone was relaxing after a heavy lunch. We were quiet and but the wonderful aroma coming out of the oven gave us away!

I got the recipe from the famous Chocolate and Zucchini blog. I made a couple of changes to the recipe using one cup whole wheat and one cup all-purpose flour. Also, I used 2 cups of blueberries instead of one. Everyone enjoyed it immensely and the cake was over by the next day :)

I am noting the recipe as I made it here as I am sure to come back to it soon.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk plain unsweetened yogurt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tspoon baking powder
1/2 tspoon baking soda
1 tspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon light rum (I omitted this out)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350° F. I used my bundt cake pan for the cake, buttering and then flouring the cakes pan on all sides.

In a large mixing-bowl, gently combine the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, oil. In another bowl mix all the dry ingredients - flour, sugar and baking powder, baking soda together.

Now add the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, and blend it together. Once it's complete, add the blueberries into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.

cake-2

I decorated the cake with some powdered sugar and fresh blueberries.
This cake is headed to Aparna at My Diverse Kitchen who is hosting MBP:Fruit Fare. Thanks for hosting!

15 comments:

  1. Lovely cake! You MIL should be flying now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira beautiful and tempting cake

    ReplyDelete
  3. cake looks so yum,.awesome combo.//

    ReplyDelete
  4. cake looks delish..nice recipe..will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such alovely cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely cake!! Why don't you send that for my event too called Sunday Snacks, due by last sunday of sept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy iam sure tasty cake.....nice decoration

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful flavors mandira! I love blueberry and yogurt together:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandira, this looks simply lovely. I love the idea of yogurt in cakes. I've been experimenting with that too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous cake, dear mandira.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Divya, Smn, notyet100, Soumya, Sunita, Vanamala, Bee - it turned out super delish. In fact, I was thrilled that it came out so well.

    Nirmala LOL, my MIL was touched by the gesture. It was a happy evening :)

    Hima - thank you for the invitation. I will surelt participate.

    Mansi- I too love berry and yogurt combination. :) Add it to cake and it's heavenly.

    Thanks Meeta. Looking forward to your creations. I was really happy with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your yogurt ring cake looks really good. Thanks for sending it in to MBP.
    Sorry I took so long to get here.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. YEah..another use for my bazillion blueberries in my freezer!! The cake is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aparna - good to see you here, hosting an event takes time. The roundup looks great!

    Sweet designs welcome to ahaar. Do try this came. I have become a fan of this combination - blueberries and yogurt!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...