September 15, 2008

Spicy Stuffed Eggplant


I must confess I have always been wary of this recipe. That is partly because I have heard countless times that the eggplant has to be really fresh for the recipe. Otherwise, it turns bitter. So when I found really firm, juicy baby eggplants at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market, I couldn't resist trying it. So I requested both moms to make it :) and here it is. After I have tasted it, I have become a convert. I totally agree now that eggplants make all the difference!

eggplant -raw

5-6 small eggplants
Curry Leaves
Salt to taste
2 tbspoons Oil

For Grinding
1 medium onion
2 medium tomatoes
2 tbsppon grated coconut
2 tspoon red chilli powder
1 tspoon coriander powder
1" ginger cube
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tspoon fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
1 clove
1 green cardamom

Slit the eggplants into four starting from the base up keeping the stem intact.

Grind all the masala together with curry leaves and salt without adding any water. Then roast the masala till it loses some of the water. Let it cool. Then, stuff the eggplant with the masala.

Heat oil in a thick bottomed non stick pan and add eggplants to it. Cook on low flame with closed lid till the eggplants turn tender. Open the lid every 4-5 minutes and turn the eggplants as one side gets done.


Serve warm with roti, chappati or even pulao.

NOTE: You may have noticed the photos have disappeared from posts. I am trying to correct the problem. I am hoping they will be back soon.


  1. Eggplants look juicy n delicious..

  2. i can see the pics and they look yummy :)

  3. thy look so yum,..nice recipe,..:-)

  4. hi yah
    this is my first time here... u have a lovely blog..
    the pics look beautiful n nice recipe..thanks for sharing it!

  5. That looks spicy and delish.

  6. Delicious filled eggplants.
    Must admit i have never tried this recipe as i always think it is a really difficult to make thme.

  7. oh i am sooo drooling mandira. this looks great and you've made me hungry!

  8. that is so yummy..........hey i can see the pics as of now..

  9. Mandira that looks totally delicious. Enjoying the pampering from both the mommies eh!

  10. Stuffed eggplants look delicious! :-)

  11. looks so delicious. i too made this and have posted in my blog, but ur picture is much more gorgeous than mine :)

  12. I stay in AA in michigan.. where do u stay? u can email me on this id

  13. Cute little eggplants bursting at it seams. Looks lovely. Bet it tastes just as good.

  14. the eggplants look juicy and tender..:) lovely pics.


  15. i was just searching for some eggplant dish and hit your blog...gonna try it soon. thanks...the picture itself tells it should taste just great.

  16. Divya Vikram, Nags, Notyet100, Vij, jayashree, Happy Cook, Meeta, Smn, ISG, Sharmila, Anjali J, Siri, Anon - thank you for your comments. The mothers are thrilled with your responses. In fact, they check the comments every evening.

    As I said, I was unsure about the recipe, but the eggplants turned out delicious :)


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...