October 31, 2008

Chicken Soup w/ Soba Noodles

Photobucket

The weather has been fluctuating here for the last two weeks. After the gorgeous few days of fall weather, it turned cold suddenly and around the same time I got a bad bout of cough which is refusing to go away. As the week is winding down, I am craving comfort food like a bowl of hot soup and a chick flick to go with the bottle of Nyquil and Riccola.

The first part was easy, I took out my slow cooker and let the soup cook for 5-6 hours, then boiled some soba noodles to go with the soup for a comforting dinner. As for the movie, now that is a difficult choice...

The soup has my favorite veggies from the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market - fresh carrots, beans, onions and peppers and my favorite herb - cilantro. And cooking it in the slow cooker just makes it extra delicious, perfect for any weather, cough or not :)

Ingredients:
2 chicken thighs boneless - cut in small pieces
2 carrots - sliced
few green beans - sliced
2 celery sticks - sliced
1/4 cup peas
1 green pepper sliced
1 smal onion - sliced
1 tspoon ginger - grated
2 cloves garlic - cook them whole in the soup
1/2 tspoon turmeric
1 tspoon coriander and cumin powder
1/2 tspoon black pepper
1/2 tspoon oregano
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1/2 tspoon fresh cilantro
1 clove
1 stick cinnamon
1/2 pack soba noodle
1 tbspoon olive oil
salt to taste
3-4 cups chicken stock (I just use store bought)

Method:
I like to saute all my ingredients and spices lightly before I put them in the slow cooker. Rub the chicken with salt and pepper and saute it in a non stick pan with 1 tspoon oil for 6-8 minutes till they start turning brown. Keep it aside.

Then heat the rest of the oil and temper it with oregano, cumin seeds, clove and cinnamon. Then add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute. Then add the onion slices and saute for another minute. Then add the carrots, beans, celery, peppers and peas and let it cook for another couple of minutes.

Add all the ingredients in the slow cooker along with, cilantro, chicken pieces and chicken stock and let it cook. I put mine on slow setting (it has only 2) and by the time it was done, my kitchen was smelling wonderful.

I take the garlic out, mash it with fork and mix it in the soup. When the soup is done, boil some soba noodles and mix it with soup. Or you can enjoy it with some buttered toast.

Photobucket

This is going to Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen who is celebrating third anniversary of Weekend Herb Blogging. Congratulations Kalyn!

15 comments:

  1. Great photos! I love the way the light is reflecting off the soup. Sounds delicious, and I'm also getting a cough and stuffy head here, so I could really use some too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks too professional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better now...I am sure that soup certainly worked its magic...
    What movie did you see? I've had a craving to watch some old Deepti Naval movies ( Katha, Panchvati, Chasme badoor and the like). Hopefully I can find something...

    I'll try this recipe without the chicken and the chicken stock. I have some sprouted chickpeas that I'd like to use up...this will do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, those are some nice pics. And I hope the soup makes you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look very healing for an autumn cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post...the pictures & flavours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pics look awesome. Soba noodles are becoming a fave of mine of late!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chicken soup with noodles look really inviting specially in cold weather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious soup and with all that vegetables and chicken it had totaste yumm.
    I have seen soba noddles when i gofor shopping in the chinese shop, never bought them. Will keep in my mind to bu them next time i am there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks absolutely delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely soup though I prefer it without chicken :D.The pic is amazing,and lovely entry entry to the event.Thanks for visiting my blog,its nice to be appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe. Sounds terrific!

    A little recommendation, I found these to be so delicious and useful in my kitchen: http://bajoseasonedsalts.com/

    Cheers.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soup looks yummy! Even I can try this without chicken stock:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks perfect and very comforting, I love the addition of noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Kalyn - I felt so much better after this bowl of soup :)

    Divya V - thanks :)

    Ts - The cold lasted little more than a week. Feeling much better now. We watched Welcome to Sajjanpur. Liked it actually! Sprouted chickpea soup sounds great :)

    Erik, Joie, PAB, Nags, Purva, Kalai, Raks, John, Meeso, Happy Cook - Thanks, the soup was comforting and calmed down my cough. And the movie kept me distracted :) I like soba noodles and have even made stir-fry with great results.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...