November 10, 2008

A-2 Farmer's Market #8, #9

I haven't posted pictures in the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market series in a few weeks, but I have been making the trip every Saturday morning with my bags and my mom in tow. It takes a while finding parking because like me, it is a ritual for several other people too.

The Farmer's Market series has been a lesson in eating with the seasons. Now that Fall has set in, there is a marked change in the vegetables offered at the market and you will notice it in the two pictures I am posting.

aa #9

This pictures is from Farmer's Market from third week of October. As you can see that the vegetables were a mix of summer an fall with bottlegourd, red radishes and bell peppers of summer time and rainbow chards, cauliflower and apples of fall. The special was a box of raspberries. It was probably one of the last days when fresh raspberries were available. I froze half of it to use it in winter.


And this is a picture of the things we got from the Farmer's Market this past weekend. As you can see, gone are the cucumbers, peppers and bottlegourds. We picked up a delicious red cabbage, kale, chard, apples and some carrots.

I got chatting with a Farmer and she told me that they have vegetables till December and then it starts dwindling. So I plan to continue making my Saturday morning trip till it is available.

Speaking of Fall, I didn't have to go too far to find Fall colors this year. The red Maple tree in the frontyard has turned brilliant red and the other trees on the road provided the other colors. Here are a couple of pictures I took this past weekend.

fall 2008 -1
Red Maple Tree in the front yard.

fall 2008
This is the view from my window.

The other trips I made to the Farmer's Market since late spring:
Farmer's Market #1
Farmer's Market #2
Farmer's Market #3
Farmer's Market #4
Farmer's Market #5
Farmer's Market #6
Farmer's Market #7


  1. Lucky you Mandira, our closest farmers markets have long been closed. I love fresh chard. It is the best green available here in my opinion.

  2. I like the way you captured the passing of the seasons in the photos in this post. It's retty similar to what we get here in the UK.

    I look forward to your kale entry for Eating with the Seasons!

  3. Also, I adore my Saturday trips to the farmers' market.

  4. Indo - I am so glad the market is open till Dec. I love chard too, actually I have been making my palak paneer with chard the last few times and they turn out great.

    Maninas - Thanks, doing the series has made me really look at what is available in different seasons. I made a big batch of applesauce, will send that your way too.

  5. Veggies look soo fresh......ur lucky to have a Farmer's Market nearby, I have to rely on supermarkets...The clicks are awesome and the view outside your window is mindblowing...

  6. gorgeous pics. thanks for sharing. our farmer's market shuts down in end september. :-(

  7. The view from your window is just stunning... :)

  8. Anonymous10:51 PM

    Gosh Mandira! What a beautiful pic.



Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...