December 15, 2008

Carrot Soup


'Tis the season, as the semester ends, to get together, eat and enjoy friends company. We had friends over during the weekend and I made some pizza, soup with a big bowl of salad. The pizza is over, but we had some soup leftover which we enjoyed with our dinner today.

This is a mix of carrot, potato and onion soup and the ratio is 4:2:1. So for 4 carrots, you put two potatoes (half of carrots) and one onion (half of potatoes). The soup is spicy with garam masala, cumin, and ginger garlic. The best part is there is no cream added, yet this is thick and creamy and the spices cut the sweetness of the carrots well. This is perfect for that movie/tv series marathon you've been planning, or just relaxing on a snowy day.

Ingredients: (serves 5-6)
8 medium carrots
4 potatoes
2 onions
3 cloves garlic
1" ginger
2 bay leaves
1 tspoon garam masala
1 tspoon cumin powder (I dry roasted the seeds and ground them)
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste

I like to mix in my spices when I am boiling the vegetables so they mix well together.

Clean and cut the vegetables and cut in big cubes. Boil them together with the spices. Once boiled and tender, puree in batches.


Put it in a big pot and simmer for a 3-4 minutes. Garnish with cilantro (optional) and serve warm with salad, pizza, or bread.


  1. With the cold front breathing down our neck, I can have a bowful of this warm and healthy carrot soup.

  2. Comforting and refreshing soup. Perfect for the season.

  3. I can have this soup anytime, whatever the weather :-)

  4. I love carrot soup, i have never added potatoes. Will do that next time when i am making them.
    This looks so yumm. Would be excelent to have a bowl now, but alas i can just drool

  5. Love Carrot soup. With this chiiling weather, soup it should be!
    R these those fresh good looking carrots from the farmers market?

  6. The soup looks perfect Mandira. And I too boil everything together and puree.Am going to make this one next. :-)

  7. So smooth and creamy,

  8. You really made that sound warm and delicious, I wish I could curl up on the couch with big blankets and a big bowl of soup!

  9. Sounds really good with this cold weather.

  10. Red Chillies, Kitchen Flavors, Sunita, Happy Cook, Soma, Sharmila, Cynthia, Meeso, Geri - Thank you, we had a big snow storm yesterday and I was craving this soup too :) Winter feels like the perfect time for all kind of soups. We end up eating it at least once a week. :)

  11. Nothing like carrot soup to warm you. I also put some fresh coriander in. Carrot and coriander are lovely together.

  12. Comforting! Give me a bowl please:)

  13. looks delicious!
    do visit my blog when u find time and join in the savory event going in my blog!
    Wish u a very happy new year!

  14. wow carrot soup looks so yummy. nice blog u have.and happy new year to you too!


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...