December 03, 2008

Fried Catfish w/ cranberry relish

catfishcranberry-2

It's been a while since I posted last. The truth is that the Mumbai blasts really shook me and I couldn't bring myself to do anything else. We were glued to the Internet and television as the events unfolded. We were wondering what we could do here in Ann Arbor, and got a chance to attend a vigil at University of Michigan Diag two days ago. Despite the bitter cold, about 200 people gathered to pay their respects and try and make sense of what seems meaningless.

I feel little better now, better enough to talk about food again. So let me share this catfish fry with cranberry relish recipe with you all. We went to a friend's place for dinner and got the recipe for cranberry relish, which I tweaked to go with the fish fry. Here is how this came together.

Catfish fry
Ingredients:(serves 2-3)
2 catfish fillets
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon chilli powder
1/4 tspoon fresh ground black pepper
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbspoon soy sauce
2 tbspoon oil

Method:
Mix all the spices in soy sauce and make a paste. Marinate the fish in the paste for 2-3 hours.
Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and shallow fry the fish 3-4 min on each side till the fish is cooked completely.

Cranberry relish
Ingredients:
2/3 pack fresh cranberry pack
1 fresh apple
1 full orange (with rind)
1/4 tspoon salt
2-3 tspoon brown sugar (change it with your taste)

Method:
Chop it all together in a mixer till you get a relish consistency, not too smooth. This is the original cranberry relish recipe.

To this I added 1/2 tspoon balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tspoon virgin olive oil and fresh ground pepper. It gave a nice tang and sweetness which went really well with the simple fish fry.

catfish cranberry

We had this for lunch this past weekend with quinoa pilaf.

14 comments:

  1. You are right Mandira ... somehow the enthusiasm about food has turned dull. These days we are glued to the tv for god knows what more to come (threats are pouring in across cities).
    Your catfish fry looks awesome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the craziness does break one's heart.

    The fish looks yum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too were glued to the TV watching news for days.
    It is ages ago i made fried fish and this looks super delicious. Wonderful idea to serve it with the cranberry relish.£Looks like you have chenged the look of your blog. I love thenew look

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs! Mandira. It makes no sense.

    Love the first picture, looks like a platter served in a high end restaurant. I bet super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mouthwatering catfish mandhira , mandhira can I have your email id plz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all the combination was light and perfect for lunch.

    ISG, - Thanks, your comment made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can u send some over? just kidding. Cat fish is all we eat (sometimes tilapia) here... looks like a great change. I already have all the ingredients.

    Lovely click!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mandira,

    It's so hard to be interested in anything as 'mundane' as dinner when there's so much heartache all around. The only thing to do, I have found, is to pick up and carry on best I can -- so much easier said than done, but at the risk of sounding simplistic -- if we don't carry on, the bad guys win. I'm glad you got a chance to meet others for a vigil -- a little solidarity in times of adversity goes a long way.

    Catfish is always a favorite and I love your fruity twist. I should get my head out of the sand and cook something, too :)

    Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lokesh4:40 PM

    I recently started reading your blog and tried some of them. Nice food, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. *I'm histerical* Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I looooooovveeee catfish! I used to fish catfish at the nearby river when I was a kid with my dad. Oh Aparna, you bring this memory back. It looks sooooooo goooooood!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those attacks really had a numbing effect. What is this world coming to. I can't imagine how people can justify taking innocent lives...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The attacks have shaken us to the very core... Catfish and cranberry sounds like a delicious idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are feeling a little better... Your catfish really looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sound of that cranberry relish, Mandira! The only way I've used it so far is baking.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...