January 10, 2009

Butternut Squash & Potato Bhaji


Before I know, the first week of the new year is gone. Getting back to work after the long break somehow left me little time for anything else other than The Wire. As I had mentioned before, we have been watching The Wire (HBO series). So this week, when it was time to go back to work, we were on the final season, so all we could do after getting back from work was to watch the next episode. It is one of the most intense cop drama series I have seen in a while and the fact that everything doesn't tie up nicely at the end makes it all the more interesting.

We finished the series on Friday and somehow, we feel that there is so much time on hand :) I am also looking for recommendations for television series.

I am a big fan of aloo kumror chakka (potato and pumpkin sabzi) and as soon as the fall/winter season arrives, I make it fairly regularly with pumpkins and butternut squash. I made this potato and butternut squash sabzi this week and we had it for dinner with roti. The subtle flavor of panch phoron only enhances the butternut squash and potato combination and goes well with either rice or chapati.

3-4 Potatoes
1/2 Butternut Squash
1 1/4 tspoon Panch Phoron
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
2 green chillies
1 red chilli
1/2 tspoon grated ginger
salt to taste
1 tbspoon oil

Wash and cut the butternut squash and potatoes in small cubes. Heat oil in a pan and temper it with panch phoron, chillies, and grated ginger.

Then add the potatoes and let it fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add the butternut squash and let it cook on medium heat and closed lid for 3-4 minutes. Add all the masalas and salt in with little water (about a few tbspoon) and mix it well. Cook it cook on medium heat and closed lid for another 7-8 min or till the potatoes and butternut squash are fully cooked and there is no water.


Serve warm.

It has been a while since I posted anything to the Healthy Sabzi Series, so here is a new addition. The vegetable ofcourse is butternut squash, which has high amount of beta carotene and a good measure of Vitamin C and fiber. More here.

Here are the previous entries to Healthy Sabzi series:
Potato Zucchini Sabzi
Cauliflower and Peas
Oriya Bhindi (Okra) Masala
Red Chard Mixed Vegetable


  1. Happy new year to you Mandira.
    Sweet Squash and potato, a great combo, never mixed those two before! :))

  2. We also "Netflix" a TV series every December. I remember calling in sick a few years ago so that we could finish 24. :) This year it was Sopranos, I didn't get into it though, I thought it was too slow. Siv is totally addicted, so I am waiting for him to get done with it. I've been hearing great things about Mad Men, that is next in my list. I will add The Wire to the list too.

  3. I cook butternut Squash almost every week but have never paired them with potatoes. Looks mighty tasty.

  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  5. I love this chakka with luchis Mandira .. and also add a little black chana. Never tried adding cumin powder though .. next time. :-)

  6. hi Mandira..the dish luks yum..and esp the puff appetizer..thats a real easy n attractive one..will definitley try something like that!!

  7. Anonymous8:57 AM

    Alu Kumro Chakka is a fav around here too, goes well with luchi doesn't it. But of course I have no time to make luchi :( shall try this with B. Squash


  8. Looks so yummyt delicious.
    Love the vabrant colour, beautiful.

  9. I love Kumro chokka too. By the way, I made your puff pastry bites for my birthday party and they were a super hit! I'll be writing about that on my blog soon.

  10. looks delicious and yum!

  11. Mandira... one of my & (family favs) .. I add chola ( black chana) to it too. & hing. Looks as if I could pick up a piece.

  12. Looks nice Mandira,I have never tried before! Sounds good!

  13. Panch phoron really livens up these mild vegetables, doesn't it? I haven't cooked just pumpkin and potato yet, will do soon.

  14. Mandira,
    alo kumror torkari khob bhalo hoyeche , aamra porotar sathe khayi..
    this looks absolutely delcious...
    Well dont know about that series !, but we used to watch "X-files" and "The Lost" a lot ,not any more!
    here people are hooked to Nach-Baliye (TV hot real life couples dancing competition) and Indian Idol(Simon Fuller fame , very similar to American Idol)and "Ballika Badhu" ...
    hugs and smiles

  15. Asha thanks and same to you!

    Sig - we have been thinking about Sopranos too. Somebody also suggested "Arrested Development".

    Indo, kitchen scientist, Happy Cook, Srilekha, Joie de vivre, Rak, Sra- thank you. Do try and let me know how it turns out.

    Kalyn thanks for pointing it out!

    Sharmila, Sandeepa, Soma, Jaya - thanks ladies! Luchir sathe ki darun lage na! I have to try it with black chana next time :)

    Mallika - thanks, looking forward to your post!

  16. Anonymous3:37 PM

    Hi, can we use other winter squash like acorn and spagetti also ?


  17. Mausami - I don't think spaghetti is going to be a good fit because of the texture. You can try acorn, it should work well, except the sweetness that butternut squash and pumpkin bring to the dish.

  18. shreyas5:09 PM

    So this morning, Mamma tells me you should check out Mandira's blog, so I looked at it.

    Later this evening I was like hmm...I should make something with that butternut squash I picked up the other day.

    And of course, the first Google result for butternut squash bhaaji is you :D:D:D! ;) will report. Btw, congratulations ( even though it is months late!)


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...