February 21, 2009

Squash, Pumpkin, Black Beans & Chicken Soup

soup-1

After a week of melting snow and temperature in the 40s, my hopes were rising that spring was finally on its way. Then came today's storm. As I write this by the window, I can see the snow piling up the front porch, the car in the driveway and the trees.

I had plans of doing a takeout lunch, but after skidding all over the road on the way back from the gym, I refused to go out again. So I picked up what I had at home and make myself a quick soup. And it felt really comforting eating this soup by the window, being all warm and cozy, while the storm rages on outside.

Ingredients:
2 carrots - cleaned and chopped
1/4 butternut squash - cut in cubes
1 medium onion - sliced thinly
1 big broccoli
1 chicken breast - cooked and shredded
4-6 cups chicken broth
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
1 dry red chlli
2 cloves garlic - grated
1/2 can black beans - washed
1-2 cloves
1/2 tspoon fresh black pepper powder
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1 -2 tbspoon oil
Salt to taste
1-2 tbspoon shredded cheese - for garnish

Method:
Take a deep and thick bottomed pan. Heat the oil and temper it with cloves, bay leaves, cumin seeds, and dry red chilli.

Then add the vegetables and let it saute for a couple of minutes. Then add the spices, chicken broth and let it cook on low medium heat till the vegetables are almost cooked. It may be 15-25 minutes.

Then add in the shredded chicken and black beans. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes everything is cooked.

soup-2

Serve it in bowl and top it with shredded cheese. Enjoy the creamy, spicy soup!

19 comments:

  1. thats a good combination for the soup and bet you wouldve enjoyed it even more with a weather like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing... The soup looks so hearty. Although I'm looking forward to salad weather too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soups and it is most comforting to have one in winter sitting by the window, warm and cozy inside while watching the snow, slush and the freezing weather outside.

    Your soup looks warm, hearty and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Mandira, Yes I am in Auburn hills now.Tomorrow we will get our stuff from movers. Today the snow storm was horrible:) The internet service here is too slow:(( hmmm I am getting used to the place slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give me chicken soup any day .. but I'll skip the cheese ( for the simple reason I don't like it) :-)
    Having a hot soup while watching a storm outside sounds so comforting Mandira ... gives a warm warm feel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mandira,
    this bowl of soup will warm up many hearts and I am not an exception ...
    I just love the warm soup with dollops of grated cheddar cheese..lovely..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mandira,Thanks for visiting me..
    The soup looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a delicious combination of spices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chicken and black beans, yummy combination and very nutritious too. Enjoy Mandira!
    I am busy cooking for Shiva Ratri,veg only dishes. Guess what's coming next week at FH! :D

    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious soup, thats really a yummy combination of veggies...

    ReplyDelete
  11. mandira thats such a lovely soup!!!..and your tofu rice is so deliciously to see..pictures are looking so great.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mandira, soup looks very delicious & nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. all the goodness in one bowl...great one Mandira

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow simply superb. Nutrious and healthy...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never tried pumpkin soup. there I said it, maybe I should overcome my fear and try it some day.

    Yours looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing takes away the chill of a cold winter day like a bowl of hot soup.:) Yours looks thick and hearty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow sounds like a nutritious and healthy soup

    ReplyDelete
  18. mmmm i can eat this without the cheese. cosy and warm soup for warming up in the gray wintry days... never mind, Spring will come around, Aparna. then, it's our turn to feel the breeze of Autumn :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Superchef, Mallika, Mycomfortfood network - I wasn't so sure about the combination in the beginning, but it turned out quite well.

    Sharmi - welcome to Michigan. We will have to get together soon.

    Thanks Sharmila, Jaya, Madhumathi, Christie. There is something about hot soups that brightens up cold gray days :)

    Asha can't wait to see the shiv ratri spread :), will be heading to FH shortly.

    Priya, Srivalli, Trupti, Navita, Kitchen Flavors - thanks. I shot it in natural light and you can probably see the blue light from the cold day in the background :)

    Sandeepa I like the sweetness pumpkin brings to the soup, especially a spicy soup like this one. Do try, you make become a convert!

    TBC, Preety - thanks. Do try and let me know how it turns out.

    Thanks Arfi and my name is Mandira :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...