March 08, 2009

Baked Tandoori Style Salmon


You know how fond I am of doing a one pot meal during weeknights. When I came home last week on Thursday, I was in the mood for minimal cooking but lots of flavor and spices. As it was almost the end of the week, my choices were limited. After some thought, I took out the salmon and decided to bake it tandoori style with some roast vegetables. Two hours later, I had some delicious dinner on the table!

I have to confess, this was my first time baking fish with tandoori masala, and I had no idea if it was going to be a good fit. But you can look at the results. And the yogurt marinade, in my opinion, brought out the creaminess of the salmon which of course complimented the spices.


24 ounces salmon
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tbspoon lemon juice
1 tbspoon minced ginger-garlic paste
1 tspoon cumin seed powder
3/4 tspoon red chilli powder
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon garam masala powder
pinch of fresh ground pepper
Salt to taste

Thaw the salmon. In a bowl mix the yogurt with the spices. Put it in a plastic bag, put in the fish, mix it together and let it marinade for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 370 deg F. Place the salmon (and it my case, the salmon and the veggies) on a tray and bake it for 20-30 min till the fish is completely cooked. After baking it for 22 min, I put the heat to broil for last 3 min to get some of the browning you see in the picture.


Serve warm.


  1. baked fish is something I have never tried on my own! Looks yum!

  2. LOVED the pictures, Mandira! Esp the last one. Salmon and veggies look terrific!

  3. What absolutely delicious looking snaps Mandira! Amar kache readymade tikka masala ache ... ebar fish diye try korbo. :-)

  4. yummmmm, looks perfect , well marinated and must have perfumed your kitchen, juicy and looks simply delicious!

  5. Looks super super delicious. Bookmarking to make these next time when i am having salmon.

  6. WOW!! look at the flakes I see, good one! :)

  7. Lovely photos Mandira. Salmon looks very delicious & healthy too

  8. Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! I am so drooling here :)

  9. Nags - thanks, I think baking is one of the easiest ways to make the fish. The yogurt made this creamy and flaky at the same time.

    Vani - thanks, it tasted even better :)

    Sharmila- Thanks, try kore dekho, besh bhalo hoyechilo.

    Akal's Saappadu - thanks, I wasn't sure in the beginning but am going to try it again with another fish.

    Thanks Happy Cook - Let me know how it turns out.

    Kitchen Flavors, Asha, Trupti, Cynthia, Superchef - I am waiting to try it with a different fish and see how it turns out.

  10. This is y firsttime visit have a very nice space n lot of dishes!!I never tried fish baking..looks lovely..nice pics!!

  11. That really does look good, I'm sure it turned out amazing... Salmon is my favorite fish!

  12. Yummy! The picture speaks for itself. I use shan tikka masala to pan grill my fish.. then recently i am using the Lahori Fish masala.. it's awesome!!

    Love your Fridge cleaning series:-)

  13. The salmon looks delicious. I am also a fan of the one-pot meal, less pots and pans to wash :).

  14. Anonymous10:58 PM

    I gave the recipe a try, and it came out with a bitter turmeric after-taste. I recommend less turmeric and red chilli, and to add a little sweetness to balance out the bitter and sour flavors. At least it was a healthy dish.


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...