April 08, 2009

Methi Matar Malai


For the last few weeks, I have been picking up fresh methi leaves from the Indian store. The only ways I have had methi before is in methi saag or methi paratha. But, I wanted to try something new. So I searched around for methi recipes and came across Sanjeev Kapoor's Methi Matar Malai.

I tried it with some changes, and have been hooked ever since. The slight bitterness of methi leaves is complemented perfectly with the natural sweetness of peas. I omitted out garlic and amchur powder while replacing cream with some non fat yogurt. I loved how it turned out - mild, flavorful - and have made it a few times now.

(adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor's Methi Matar Malai)
1 pack fresh methi leaves
1/2 pack frozen peas
1 medium onion - chopped
1 tspoon ginger - grated
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon cinnamon powder
1/2 coriander powder
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
3 tbspoon yogurt - whipped
1 tbspoon oil
Salt to taste

Clean and chop the metho leaves coarsely. Heat oil in a pan temper with cumin seeds. Then add the chopped onions and saute till they turn soft and translucent. Then add grated ginger and saute for a minute Then add in the methis leaves and let it cook with closed lid for 3-4 minutes.

Then add the peas, chilli powder and salt and let it cook together for 3-4 minutes. Then add the cinnamon powder and mix well.

Reduce the heat to low, and add the yogurt, stirring it well. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes and then take it off the heat.


Serve warm with some naan, roti or chapati.


  1. Wow Everything green and the curry looks simple and tempting...

  2. I have been seeing this MMM in quite a few places.. I have never had this before.. interesting combination.

  3. Methi Matar is a family favourite, and though my way is rather different from yours, this looks so amazing.I must try this soon.

  4. Wow green food is always comforting and yum. This looks really scrummy.

  5. That looks damn tempting. Loved that green colour.

  6. Love methi malkai matar. Like your yogurt substitution. Looks greeen and delicious, Mandira!

  7. Love the green look of this dish. Yup the methi leaves in the store look fresh for a change.

  8. This is one of my favorite dishes, really is so tasty... looks awesome!

  9. Nice combo of methi n mattar. Greeny!

  10. thats an awesome recipe, Mandira!! love the green colour!

  11. Looks so beautiful and springy green, Mandira! The fresh methi looks really good lately here, too. I will try this way next time :)

  12. you are so creative! sounds delicious...

  13. I hate white food. So never tried this dish. But yours looks colourful. Must try. Bookmarked :)

  14. Love the look of that MMM Mandira! :-)
    Poila Boishakher shubheccha niyo. :-)

  15. Diane4:37 PM

    I made this yesterday - and it was AWESOME! Thanks for the recipe.

  16. Love that picture.. looks so fresh and reminds you that spring is here :) yaay.

  17. 1st time here. Looks great. love the greens...

  18. I made this Methi matar malai for dinner last night, and it was so good! Even my meat-loving husband liked it. I'm trying to do several meatless meals a week both for our health and our budget, so I really appreciate easy, veggie packed meals. thank you for shearing your post.

  19. Oh my God!! At last I got something veg for my sweet lovable husband. He is a perfect vegetarian and I can give him a big surprise with the help of your post. Thanks a lot!! Really it looks awesome. You know something my husband always says that be vegetarian but I had a feeling that there are very less variety in vegetarian dishes. Anyway Thanks for coming up with such an excellent variety.


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...