April 27, 2009

A-2 Farmer's Market and Bhindi Masala (Okra Fry)

plant-2

This past weekend, when the weather was nice and it seemed like the entire city was out, I decided it was time to go back to the Farmer's Market. And of course, everyone had the same idea... it was great being back in that setting. I picked up large brown eggs, placed my order of chickens and hold your breath... picked up vegetables plants! From now on, I am going t0 wander there and restart my Farmer's Market series.

I have started a few at home and in the backyard - cilantro, chillis, mustard greens, spinach and carrots. From the Farmer's market, I picked up a variety of tomatoes:

tomato-1

cherry tomatoes hanging down, beefsteak tomatoes, purple cherokee and pink tomatoes, along with chard and cauliflower. This summer there won't be flowers hanging in the front yard, rather it'll be juicy cherry tomatoes, enough to make everyone drool.

After all the work of potting and planting the veggies, I was in the mood for something simple. So I made some khichudi, bhindi masala (okra fry) and cucumber and mint raita. After this great meal, I was ready to go out again in the afternoon.

Here is how I made the bhindi masala (okra fry).

bhidi-bhaja

Ingredients:
1 lb okra - chopped
1 red onion - sliced thinly
1/2 tspoon mustard seeds
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1 dry red chilli
1/2 tspoon grated ginger
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1/4 tspoon red chilli powder
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/2 tspoon lemon juice
1 tbspoon oil
Salt to taste

Method:
Heat the oil in a pan and temper it with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chilli. Then put in the onions and saute for a couple of minutes. Then add in the okra, and let it cook on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. Then add in the spices and lower the heat to medium low and let it cook till it is almost done. Add 1/2 tspoon water if needed.

Here is a cool trick that I've learned. Add in the lemon juice and stir it around for a couple of minutes. It cuts some of the stickiness of okra and brings out the flavors.

Serve warm with rice, kichudi, or chapati.

Here are some of my other okra recipes:
Okra and Shallots Fry
Oriya Bhendi Masala

17 comments:

  1. Okra Masala is inviting and summer is when we dont like to stay at home at more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bhindi masala is looking realy really good:-D haven't cooked this for quite some time.

    I have planted a few things too this time, some space fenced off from the bunnies in my yard. let's see if they survive this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lady's finger fry looks delicious, I've planted some cherry tomatoes too, they're no fuss, they come out easily and my teddies love to eat the ripe tomatoes right from the plants :)
    adding a spoon of yoghurt cuts off the stickiness too :) will keep the lime juice in mind too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so bloody hot here, I had a headache from running around the town in the Sun! I asked and I got it good! :D

    Plants look healthy, I am almost done gardening, just waiting for my fave Thai chilli plants to arrive at the Lowe's.

    Okra looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okra Masala to bhalo lagchei kintu tomar bagan o khub bhalo lagche

    ReplyDelete
  6. Growing plants in hanging pots is a nice idea, Mandira. Might save plants from deer. the deer repellents we use don't seem to work-maybe they have gotten used to those brands! :)
    The okra fry/khichdi/raita plate looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okra looking good, it is one of those vegetables that tastes good whichever way it is cooked.

    Looking forward to your market series again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my quest to try new things I miss out on things like Bhindi and Alu Bhindi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi mandira , the okra pic reminds me of mom , v nice

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have so many veggie plants this year..i just got a few - kale, serrano chillies and herbs..may get some strawberries too :)

    the bhindi masala looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mandira,
    feel so good to see your lovely kitchen garden in small pots...great :)).. and Bhindi torjari O khob Bhalo lagche..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are so innovative! great idea to hang tomatoes in front of the house instead of flowers...!
    bhindi masala looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the look of the bhindi masala. And you are so lucky to be able to potter around with plants Mandira! The tomato plants have real big leaves ... unlike the our desi ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll take tomatoes over flowers any day, they're much tastier :). This okra fry sounds so flavorful! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Ramya, Soma, Akal's Sappadu, Asha, Sandeepa, Vani, Indo, AandN, Rahin, Superchef, Jaya, Lissie, Sharmila, Sophie. It is so much fun watching the plants grow. And the bhindi masala was simple, quick and delicious. The lemon juice gave it a nice tang. I have to try Yogurt the next time (thanks Akal's Sappadu).

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did I miss so many of your posts... I keep scrolling down and seeing more I haven't seen... stupid RSS feed... Anyway, great looking okra fry, and another I am bookmarking for the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OKRA! My mother loves them, almost 50% of our garden is covered with okra, mom's going to love this!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 9 years now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...