May 06, 2009

Apple Blossoms & Roasted Asparagus & Brussel Sprouts

apple-tree1

Spring is slowly spreading through the garden. I was happy when I got the vegetables from Farmer's Market last week, but I am even more excited because the apple tree in front of the house is in full bloom. I see bees hovering over the flowers and it makes a pretty sight whenever I open the door. But most of all, it's a reminder that I'll be getting some delicious apples pretty soon!

apple-tree2

With our busy schedule this past week, we've been trying to do some quick cooking. This week, I made a quick roasted vegetables with inspiration from Jugalbandi. It was delicious, healthy and a great combination with spinach dal and rice.

Ingredients:
3/4 lb brussel sprouts
1/2 lb asparagus
1/2 tspoon dry ginger powder
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
1 1/2 tbspoon olive oil
Salt to taste

asparagus

Method:
Preheat the over to 400deg F. In the meantime, sprinkle the vegetables with the spices. Take a baking sheet, and then put pat half the olive oil on the sheet. The rest of it, add it on top of the vegetables.

Bake for 20-25 minutes till the vegetables are done - the Brussels sprouts start to get crisp and brown.

brussel-sprouts

Serve it warm as a side dish or as part of a salad.

18 comments:

  1. I love roasted veggies. So easy and a meal by itself sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love asperagus, but brussels sprouts not my cup pf tea at all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasted veggies are always welcome. :-) Lucky you Mandira .. an apple tree at your doorstep .. all pink and dressed up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pics and Apple blossoms. Loving the stir fry. Enjoy and see you in June!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty!

    Roasted veggies are always a welcome thing in our table! Love love lvoe asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tree looks gorgeous Mandira. looing forward to seeing a picture of the apple laden tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brussels and asparagus wow I m speachless with a lil brown rice i will be the most happiest person and that would be the great lunch ever had...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen apple blossom...Thank you for the pics... Roasted asparagus and srouts look yum...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love roasted veggies, be it asparagus, sweet potato, zucchini etc.

    Looking forward to some recipes made with the apples at your door step.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful pictures of apple blossoms! roasted asparagus and brussel sprouts sounds great...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is that in your garden ? What luck :)

    Have never tried asparagus

    sandeepa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mandira,
    It feels so refreshing to see the apple blossoms ...you are very lucky :))...eyikhane ja garam pore che ..chobi ta dekhe ekto refresh hoye gelaam:))..
    roasted veggies khob crunchy lagey ..tobe brussel sprouts ami jani na khete parbo kono din ki na LOL..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roasted asparagus is the best! Brussel sprouts, I'm not so sure.:D
    That tree is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, an apple tree in your front yard, lucky you! And the roasted veggies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I smiled all through this post. The beauty and warmth shone through.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I grew up hating brussels sprouts as a kid. Hated them. Until I tried them again in my thirties and found out I actually like them! Thanks for sharing another delicious and simple recipe.

    Dan
    Casual Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I first saw the title, I thought this might be a recipe including apple blossoms with asparagus and brussel sprouts. I must admit, I was intrigued (I don't even know if apple blossoms are edible...) I'm not sure I would have been up for trying that recipe anyway - I think that I'll need to try the recipe as posted though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Unintentional Housewife: I am intrigued by the recipe you suggest. Maybe I will try it. Do try the roasted asparagus. It turns out well every time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...