June 08, 2009

Broccoli with onions, olives, and almonds


Mandira was supposed to write a post, but she is mad at the Burns Park squirrels who ate all the chard and cauliflower leaves. So I decided to make a quick dish with broccoli which went really well with quinoa and fish fry. I can't quite remember where I first came across a recipe involving broccoli, olives, and pine nuts - might be Mark Bittman's blog - but here's my variation on it.

1 big broccoli flower or 1/2 pack of packaged broccoli
1 medium onion
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
10-15 black olives
1/4 tspoon fresh black pepper
handful sliced almonds (or pine nuts)
Salt to taste

Chop onions into very small pieces. Heat oil, add the onions and saute for a couple of minutes.

Then add the broccoli, and a few tspoons of water and let it cook. Once it is semi-cooked, add the spices and the olives and cook it uncovered till the water dries.


Sprinkle almonds and serve warm. This super healthy vegetable side is this week's contribution to our Healthy Series.


  1. Oh, I'd be mad too! Quick, simple side. Looks great!

  2. I can understand why she is mad! & i sympathize with her.. for I have the bunnies in the backyard who did that disaster for me few weeks back. I was really MAD too:-)

    The recipe looks simple & delicious!

  3. LOL! Tell Mandira it was her good deed for the day! But I like this a lot. SImple yet wonderfully flavored! Give Mandira a huge hug from me!

  4. Oh wow healthy and yum feast...

  5. Love the idea of adding olives to the brocolli.

  6. ohh!! i'll be totally mad too, if anyone/anything dare touch my precious plants!

    love the quick n simple brocolli!

  7. That is a simple and healthy dish... nice addition of olives in it... and thanks for dropping by and elaving your comments :)

  8. Wow that simple dish, love the flavors in it

  9. Aswin..love this variation to brocolli...i know all its health benefits but my tongue won't just accept it into my oesophagus...lol..

    thought hub loves it so will try making it fpr him :)

  10. Awww poor Mandira. Ask her to grow chard in a pot, maybe that will work

  11. Hi very nice blog... please visit my blog also and participate in global ganesha food festival! http://didolivescooks.wordpress.com/

  12. Thanks for all your comments!
    Without chicken-wire, veggies have no chance in the neighborhood we're in - the squirrels here eat *everything*. Maybe next time around, we should consider squirrel traps too (http://weblogs.swarthmore.edu/burke/?p=346)

    Navita: maybe the olives will make the broccoli a bit more palatable?!

  13. looks simple, quick and perfect for a light dinner!

  14. Oh this is such a quick do!!! Sounds healthy and Olives in them are tempting me!!! Oh poor Mandira, its so obviously that she is angry on the squrrels~!!!

  15. Great combo!!Looks inviting,simple and delicious!!
    Drop in sometime!!

  16. I have seen so much delcious recipes using those squash flowers and it is a real pitty when ever i go to the market i dodn't see them, i think we don't get them here as i have never seenit here.

  17. I'm not much into olives, but you made them look great with this recipe :)


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...