August 10, 2009

Berry Cherry Weekend

After complaining for weeks about the meek summer, we were hit with a blast of heat this weekend. All complaining evaporated in the heat as we switched on all fans and looks for recipes to cool us down.

I had picked up fresh cherries from the Farmer's Market and we ate it all up in a variety of ways over the weekend.

Berry Cherry Smoothie
This was a refreshing change from the regular menus and was filling enough to keep us busy for a few hours.

berry-cherry-smoothie

Ingredients:
3/4 cup strawberry
1/2 cup pitted cherry
4-5 tbspoons honey (adjust with taste)
1 1/2 cup cold milk

Method:
This is the easy part. Blend it all together, and serve chilled.

Berry Cherry Compote (almost!)
I had plans of making cherry crumble with the rest of the cherries. But the idea of switching the oven turned me off. We had friends coming over for dinner, so I decided to make this simple dessert which went incredibly well with some ice-cream!

berry-cherry-compote

Ingredients:
2 cups strawberries (chopped in half)
1 1/2 cup pitted cherries
4-5 tbspoon honey
1 tspon brown sugar
juice of one lemon
1/4 tspoon zest
pinch of cinnamon powder

Method:
Unlike compote, this requires no heating. Mix it all together and chill for a couple of hours before serving. This gives enough time to mix it all together.

Serve with ice-cream.

19 comments:

  1. Simple and easy to make. Healthy and a great option for someone who loves to eat fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruit is great for hot weather... I love the smoothie, they are so nice in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! This is yummy!!
    I too make it often and add honey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that’s one of my favorite smoothie combos.
    looks so refreshing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woww refreshing drink, looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea and the picture of the no-cook berry compote

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the berry compote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in for a tall glass of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fruit always refreshes and gives comfort in Summer....both looks yummy and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Refreshing! love the glass :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the glasses! :) And come on, AA cannot be as hot as ATL :|

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heaven came down:-) the irresistible berry cherry blend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mandira, so glad to see you're enjoying the fresh MI cherries :) The cherry berry smoothie looks great -- but I like your dessert best of all :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice! I see that you are really enjoying the summer fruits. Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mandira,
    I loved the smoothie idea, those look so refreshing, and I got lured by the the fact that its easy, and simple. I'll making it at home this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Enjoy summer mandira, done decorating new house :)

    Bong Mom

    ReplyDelete
  17. Makes a great filling breakfast! Like the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks everyone! I've never tried cherries with any kind of berries before. It was a good combination esp as a smoothie :)

    A_and_N - We've had a mild summer, so when the heat wave hits, it's even worse ;)

    Sandeepa I am beginning to realize that it may never be done :) How is your newly painted house?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5:04 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...