August 19, 2009

Simple Beetroot bhaji

beetroot2

Since the Farmer's Market has opened I must say that we are eating much better. We pick up all kinds of vegetables because they look fresh, juicy and then come up with ways to finish them. For instance, tonight we had radish and green onion parathas with cucumber (from farmer's market) and tomato (from garden) raita. Everything in the market looks so good that sometimes I pick up enough to last a couple of weeks!

But that is not what I want to blog about tonight. I want to tell you about this simple beetroot bhaji we made a couple of nights ago. Yes, the beetroots were from the Farmer's market as well. You know that I am not terribly fond of beetroot and don't make them often. But these looked so fresh, and when Aswin said he had the perfect recipe, I had no hesitation in picking this bunch.

The bhaji did turn out simply delicious. The sweetness of the beets mixed with the pungent mustard seeds and spicy notes of chili powder was great. It went well with dal and steaming hot rice.

Ingredients:
4-5 beetroots cut in cubes
2 dried red chillies
1 tspoon mustard seeds
1 tspoon urad dal
pinch of asafoetida
few curry leaves
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
Salt to taste
1 tbspoon Oil

Method:
Heat oil in the pan and temper it with asafoetida, mustard seeds, urad seeds, curry leaves and red chillies.

Then put in the beetroots, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt, little bit water (1/4 cup water) and cook it on medium heat for 10-12 minutes till the water disappears and beetroots are cooked.

beetroot1

Serve warm.

13 comments:

  1. wow!! Firt time seeing beet root bhaji!! Looks great... and such a simple recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such a colourful bhaji, healthy and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....yum way to indulge with beets....

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks simple and delicious.. yummm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure the combination of all these spices and the sweet beet taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, I love the look and sound (and ease!) of this Mandira! I have a few beets left -- I could whip this up for lunch tmo :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandira,
    I used to hate beet roots as a kid, mom used to cook it with carrots and potatoes (she still prepares that thought), this recipe seems to be a good relief, will try this out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had beetroot juice for almost 5 yrs :) bhaji looks simple and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks soo good. My husband also likes this beet-bhaja. I have been visiting your blog since last one year...and have tried some of your bengali recipes as well. I started blogging a month back, and I received some awards which I would like to share with you. You deserve them much more than me. please collect the awards from my blog :) thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this two days ago, and have been mixing the liquid left over from boiling in various curd preparations and am enjoying the colour! In fact, I just put up one on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my favorite to have with yougurt rice. To me it spells comfort food :-) Loved the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks chakhlere, Priya, Kitchen Flavors, Hari, Jyoti, Linda, Sudeshna, Sra . For someone not a big fan of beets, this was a hit!

    Parita 5 years, wow. Do you drink it everyday?

    Tulip Thank you for your comment and welcome to the blogging world. Will visit your blog soon :)

    Red Chillies I didn't think of it, but it would be a good combination with Curd rice. I have to try the next time I get beets.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...