September 30, 2009

Doodh Pitla (with Butternut Squash)

g-pitla3

We had friends over for dinner a few weeks back, and it was one of the few days this past summer that actually felt like summer. I wanted to avoid making anything spicy, and decided to try my luck with a dish that I enjoyed as a kid. This is another tanjore marathi staple (and I'm sure there are variants out there in Tamil cuisine) typically made with pumpkins, with the milk serving to cut the spice levels.

Ingredients:
1/2 -1 cup Milk
1 small Butternut squash or pumpkin
Salt to taste
Chopped cilantro to garnish

To roast and grind:
1 tspoon cumin seeds: 1 tsp
6-8 Black pepper
2 dry red chillies
1 green chilli
1" Ginger - grated
1 tbspoon Chana dal
1.5 tbspoons Toor dal
1/2 cup Coconut - shredded

To temper:
1/2 tspoon Mustard seeds
1/4 tspon Asafoetida
1 tspoon Urad dal

Method:

g-pitla1

Chop and boil the squash and set it aside. Roast and grind the ingredients.

In a thick-bottomed pan, mix the paste with the boiled squash along with some water (as needed). Add salt and let this cook for 8-10 minutes on medium-low heat.

Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, and asafoetida. Take this off the stove and slowly add 1/2 cup of milk (or more if desired) and mix well.

Add chopped cilantro and serve with hot rice.

g-pitla2

This treasured recipe pic is going to Heirloom:Click hosted by Jai and Bee at Jugalbandi.

10 comments:

  1. I love Pithla !!! Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought there was only one version of pithla ... with besan. This is too good ... how about I grate the squash instead of going thru chopping and boiling?
    Shubho Bijoyar onek shubheccha Aswin & Mandira! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pitla looks beautiful and yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have this with rice, i have never had this, it looks so yumm, just like one of those comfort curry you eat with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never came across this dish, though I have come across something called pitlai which I remember is quite different. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is something different from ur kitchen. extremely interesting to me., do keep more of these coming, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a new dish... looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the Besan Pithla and this looks yummy too.
    Tomader Dujoner jonyo Bijoyar anek shubhechcha roilo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mandira, could I have your email please? I have a particular question to ask you. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aswin and Mandira, I made this today and it turned out delicious! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...