October 13, 2009

Two Bean Chili with Turkey Meatballs

chilli-2

It's supposed to be fall right? Just checking, because the temperatures have dipped below freezing at night and Aswin mentioned that there may be flurries this weekend. With everything around me pointing to winter instead of fall, it was time for me to bring out my slow cooker.

Well, my slow cooker is ancient. I bought it second hand several years ago when I was a student at a garage sale. And it has traveled with me everywhere. Instead of fancy settings, this cooker has only two settings - high and low. I have thought about getting a new one several times, but hesitate, because I am attached to this old one which has shared so many of my adventures.

I was going to make three-bean and realized that I had only two. So I made two bean chili and added some pre-cooked turkey meatballs at the end when it was simmering. It turned out awesome. Just what we needed to drive the chill away and pretend that it's still fall.

Ingredients:
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into small cubes
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into small cubes
2 carrots small cubes
1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tspoon ginger grated
2 bay leaves
1 dry red chilli
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
1 tspoon cumin powder
1 tspoon coriander powder
1 tspoon fresh oregano
1/2 tspoon dried parsley
1 can diced tomato
1 can tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2-3 cups water or broth
2 tbspoon oil
6-7 turkey meatballs cut in halves or quarters
chopped fresh cilantro leaves
lemon wedges for serving

Method:
I start this in a suacepan and end it there, but all the cooking happens in the slow cooker.

Heat oil and temper it with bay leaves and dried chilli. Add in the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute. Add in the onions and cook it for a couple of minutes till the raw smell goes away. Add all the spices and mix it together.

Now put this spice mixture in the slow cooker. Add in the vegetables, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, beans, and broth on top. Mix well and let it cook together. Alternately, you can cook it on stove top for 30-45 minutes on low heat till the vegetables are cooked and mixed well together.

I made a big batch of chili. So for dinner, I took out some, added pre-cooked turkey meatballs and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.

chilli-1

Serve it warm with lemon and cilantro. Enjoy.

This is going to MLLA: 16th Helping hosted by Cook Sister. This was started by Susan of Well Seasoned Cook.

13 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!! Anything with beans I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic dish that too with meatballs...looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mandira I just love your slow cooker recipes. am dying to have one. This bean chili looks comforting for a chilly night...Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks perfect for this say we say unseasonably cold weather. Anything with beans gets me excited anyway. Those preccooked meatballs be it chicken or turkey sure are great for last minute cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wholesome bowlful Mandira! Gorom gorom khete darun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice variation to my traditional 5-alarm chili. will definitely have to try, although not quite out of summer here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandira,
    I am sure you'll envy me if I say that I still need to put on my ceiling fan here :). The Kolkata humid weather has gone and its the wonderfully breezy right here :).
    The recipe looks so good, I loved the combination of different ingredients.
    Happy Diwali to you and to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pass me my bowl with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandira,
    well ,temp has droped here also...and this would be just perefect ....and dont give up that old slow-cooker ...see this is still working and fetching you so yummy dishes...wish you and yours a very happy deepawali..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...that's an yummy recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those meatballs save me on many a days

    A hearty looking chili bowl Mandira. I loved your idea of making a big batch and then adding meatballs as needed. Shall do that

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its so cold and chilly here.. Perfect for the season...

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 9 years now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...