November 24, 2009

Orange and Almond cake

cake-2

It was Aswin's birthday couple of weeks ago and that's usually when I search for a new cake recipe.

When I saw this
orange and almond cake recipe, I was intrigued. Whole oranges with rind and all... really. And no flour, how will almond flour hold up to the baking? These questions were swirling in my mind. But curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give it a try.

And I'm happy that I tried. It had a delicate orange flavor, mild sweetness and the softness of the cake floored me. We took the cake to the restaurant where we dined. After dinner, we enjoyed the cake with our friends with some vanilla ice-cream.

I had some extra batter and I made a couple of small ones which are in the picture.

Orange and almond cake (serves 6-8)
(from Fig and Cherry)

Ingredients:
2 medium naval oranges
3 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup flour
1 tspoon baking powder

For the topping
1/2 orange juice
3-4 tbspoon honey
10-12 almonds - crushed

Method:

Preheat the oven to 335F. Grease the cake pan and set it aside.

Cut the oranges in half. Place the oranges in a saucepan, cover with cold water, bring it to boil and cook for 15-20 minutes. Drain (to reduce bitterness) and repeat. Coarse chop and remove seeds. It is important that the oranges are soft.

Place the chopped oranges in a blender with a splash of water (if needed) and pulse until smooth (It should make about 12 oz).

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and pale. Add the orange, almond flour, flour and baking powder and fold to combine.Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.

Set aside to cool while you make the syrup.

Zest little of the half orange and then juice it. Add the honey to the orange juice and cook on low heat stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes syrupy. Gently poke holes all over the top of the cake with a skewer and then spoon over the syrup. Garnish with crushed almonds.

cake-1

Serve warm or at room temperature with some ice-cream.

Here are the previous birthday cakes:
Spiced Applesauce cake
Black Forest cake
Chocolate cake with whipped cream

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

23 comments:

  1. Lovely cake...looks very bright and shining!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my frend!delicios cake!
    Greetings for Turkiye!(Turkish food)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cake Mandira. recently the blog world is overflowing with almond flower recipes...yours is a topnotch one. love this idea of orange syrup over the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this cake in books but i was reluctant to make thinking the whole peels from the orange might give a bitter taste.
    This loooks so moist and delicous, i am sure ashwin was ovrjoyed with this b'day cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious and lovely cake....Simply fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Mandira! An almost no flour recipe! I am still wondering about using that whole orange ... ektu o titkute bhaab chilo na? Would love to try this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious and moist, lovely cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've made this - for my first blogiversary, and it was too soft. I mean, I could cut it into pieces but slowly, it would crumble. It tasted good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine had no flour at all in it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandira, your cake looks like sunshine on a plate. Belated wishes to Aswin.

    I have used whole oranges like this and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mandira,
    wow! thats great ..looks too good..mone hi hoche na je eyitate ekto O flour neyi ...khob moist hoyeche dekhte :)...
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the addition of almond flour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. delicious looking cake!! have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I'm so flattered that you liked my recipe (and very relieved it worked so well for you since it was for a special occasion, phew!).

    I LOVE the idea of making little mini-cakes with the nuts sprinkled on top - I'll definitely have to try that myself.

    Thanks again! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very unusual ingr in cake! Very pretty indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cake looks very moist and inviting...belated bday wishes to aswin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't know how I missed this Mandira. Belated b'day wishes to A. What a lovely cake, looks happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks all. We enjoyed the cake and so did our friends. Sorry to have been gone for a while. Hoping to have a new post soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That must have made somebody's birthday very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. eta amake korte hobe... love it that it is almost all almond flour. I have always combined AP and almond. bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  21. why had i read this flour (not the almond) to be corn flour?? god only knows. I stocked up my corn flour. LOL. I was thinking that there is no ap flour and the corn flour/starch helps to bind and (make it light) the almond flour, like in a sponge cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soma, there is little bit ap flour which you can substitute with whole wheat flour. You thought of corn flour because of the color?

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...