April 05, 2010

Guiltfree Payesh (kheer)

diwali-1

The last couple of weeks have seen a lot of transitions in the family. I am getting back to work and it's full of mixed feelings. And from what I've heard from my friends it lasts a while and there isn't any easy way out. In the middle of all the work, home, baby duties, food blog has taken a backseat.

Here's what happened. I missed hosting Meeta's Monthly Mingle in all this. I had asked her to host this event many months ago. The deadline came and went, and in my busy days I checked my e-mail a little too late. I felt terrible, even thought about going on hiatus for a while. Sorry about this Meeta! Then I heard from friends (long lost ones) that they're enjoying my blog and it encourages me to come back again.

So in the guilt-ridden times, I give you guiltfree payesh. It's cooked with zero-fat milk, and was cooked on a weekend (the pictures is from diwali though). It always turns out good and soothes those tensions with one sweet bite.

Ingredients:
1 cup govindobhog rice (this is a short-grain, aromatic rice that my parents brought. You can use any short-grain rice or broken basmati too)
4-5 cups zero fat milk
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar (according to taste)
5-7 cardamom (ground the seeds)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Method:
I make it the way my mother made it, letting 2-3 cups of milk simmer on low heat for a couple of hours, while stirring constantly. Once the milk comes to a boil, add the rice and let it cook in low heat.

Add 1-2 cups of milk once the rice soaks it up and let it cook till the rice is boiled and it has a nice thick consistency.

Add the sugar now and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Put the cardamom, raisins, and almonds and cook for 5-10 minutes till everything has mixed in together.

Serve warm or cold.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely kheer and the color. Is it from the rice? Mandira it is hard to keep track of the time even without these responsibilities. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back Mandira. the other day only I was hinking of dropping you a few lines as how we miss you in the blogosphere. am a new mom too and know how it feels to balance everything so just take it easy and relax wheneevr you get the time. payes is my all time fav dessert and this looks and feels great...will give it a try. take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a droolworthy kheer, looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandira, had no idea that you got a baby recently...congrats..so take it easy, family comes first...payesh looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandira,
    payesh khete bhalo lagey jemon korey banao na keno...Ameya kemon ache? and blog can take back seat , family comes first..eyi din eto tara-tari kete jabe , bojhte parbe na ..so enjoy with your son :)..amar jeno mone hoye eyi to kalke amaar meye hoyechilo :)..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really haven't tried a kheer but according to its ingredients, my taste buds are saying me that it is good. Herbs and spices from spice rack are use and it's not that difficult to prepare.
    I think I'll try making one of these, the only problem is I don't know If I got the exact taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mandira,
    Wish you,Aswin and Ameya shobho nababorsho...may you keep enjoying in company of Ameya and may this year also bring you loads of success and happiness :)..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shubho Nababarsha to you and your family,Mandira...have fun time with ur daughter

    ReplyDelete
  9. BongMom/sandeepa11:09 PM

    Mandira

    Tomader o janai Shubho Naboborshor shubhechcha ar Ameya'r jonyo anek bhalobasha

    Wish you all the best in the new multiple roles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shubho Nababarsho Mandira ar Aswin. Chotto shonake nie tomader protom natun bachor khub bhalo katuk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are just perfect for a birthday gift baskets how did you even come up with these ideas? brilliant food! I love the chef!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kheer looks delicious, love the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yuum! It looks really good! I hope it tastes good too! *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the new addition and on getting back to the job. I was a little tied up with stuff and missed blog hopping last few months. So was surprised to see all the good news!! got back here looking for ur soba noodles recipe.:)) its difficult to blog when there is so much happening around but whenever u do blog, its a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elana1:02 PM

    I make something similar to this, but I leave it in my crockpot. They are such amazing cooking utensils for people short on time. Thanks for all your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello!! My name is SIMAUMA. I write blog about the food.Please look.And I am glad if I link to your blog. (URL)http://food-collection-simauma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...