May 18, 2010

Restaurant Review: NeeHee's

neehees2

I am not a big restaurant critic, in fact I try to stay away from it most of the time. But I couldn't stay away from recommending this one. We found out about NeeHee's accidentally when a friend mentioned that she's seen a new Indian restaurant in Canton, Michigan - about 20 min drive from Ann Arbor. "It's a chaat place," she said and that got my attention.

I've not found many good chaat places in the US so far, so I was curious to try this one. I was surprised to see that not only do they offer an extensive chat menu - bhelpuri, chole bhature, dahi puri etc, they also had dosas, and indo-chinese. Most of the time it's a recipe for disaster! Not this one.

neehee's

To describe the place, it's in a strip mall, next to an Indian store. The decor is quite bare, the utensils are all plastic, so if you were there for the first time, like we were, you would wonder if you had made the right decision to go there. I would say, eat fearlessly :) Not only they have different cuisines on their menu, they do it well too.

We've been there several items and sampled chaat, dosas, uttampams, and even some Indo-chinese. Everything we've eaten so far has been good. I would even say that it's probably one of the best Indian places for me overall.

Here are some of the items that we tried the time I took the camera.

Chole Bhature
chole

The bature were soft and fluffy, reminded me of homemade ones, not the greasy street kind I've eaten before. The chole just the right kind of spicy and tangy. And for $5.99 it's a steal.

Pani Puri and Sugarcane juice
panipuri
The sugarcane juice is delicious, sweet, with hint of lemon and pudina. It went perfectly with all the spicy, street food that we ordered.
Panipuri, what can I say! I was eating it after so long, eaten a regular one would have sufficed. But this one was better than that. This was delicious. Filled with potato mixed with black chana and hint of sweet chutney, the puris were gone in no time. $3.99

Mysore Masala Dosa
dosa
Smeared with "gun powder" on the inside, the dosa had quite the kick to it! Go for it if you can handle the spice level. If not, I would highly recommend the rava masala which got rave reviews from Aswin and my MIL. $6.99

Dahi Puri
dahi-puri

This was a find. I can eat this entire plate and then some. It had the perfect balance of spice and sweetness mixed it with yogurt and sprinkled with some sev on top. My MIL recommends this immensely. She says that this is better than the ones she's had in India. $3.99

Overall, it's great addition to the Indian cuisine scene. It's affordable, delicious and quick.

Location:
45490 Ford Road
Canton MI-48187
PH-734-737-9777

6 comments:

  1. The next time I'm in Ann Arbor, this is the place to go!

    have you tried Seva? I ate there the last and the only time I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a cute lil place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A_and_N: I've tried Seva several times and like it quite a bit. Let me know when you are here next and we'll make a trip to NeeHee's.

    Home Cooked Oriya Food - it is quite bare bones, but is delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I go to Ann Arbor for food, so I will drive a little further and try this place for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dinning at hotels and restaurants is definitely a great experience for everyone and you will get knowledge from it and be update about different recipes. I also love to dine out side and recently I have found a great website where you can find information about some of the best hotels and restaurants in your town, you can check this at:
    http://www.restobolivia.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:00 PM

    Neehee's rocks. More on them is here:

    http://www.kitchenchick.com/2009/10/neehees-redux.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...