June 17, 2010

Asparagus aar Pyaaz kali bhaja (Asparagus and Scallion stir-fry)

asparagus aar pyaaz bhaja

Now that the Farmer's Market has started, we took our little one for Saturday visits. He likes the trips, looking at the vendors and their offering just like other little ones who are out with their parents.

I bought several tomato and pepper plants. Then, I saw fresh asparagus and green onions, spinach, and other green veggies. I picked a bunch of veggies and for lunch, made some quick stir fry with asparagus and onions. It turned out to be a great combination and went well with dal makhani and brown rice.

Here is how I made it.

Ingredients:
1 bunch fresh asparagus
1 bunch green onions ( you can also substitute it with a medium onion)
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
2 sry red chillies
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder
1/2 tspoon red chilli powder
1/4 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tbspoon lemon juice
salt to taste
1 tbspoon oil.

Method:
Chop the asparagus and onions. Then heat oil and temper it with cumin seeds and dry red chillies. Then add the asparagus, onions, spices, salt and stir-fry it for 7-10 minutes till its cooked. You may add few tspoons of water if needed for the vegetables.

asparagus aar pyaaz bhaja

Once cooked, sprinkle the lemon juice an serve warm.

9 comments:

  1. Love the desi twist.

    The Farmer's Market is such a fun place no? :) And its a good place to take the kids to, they learn a lot early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish, here the white asperagus is more famous than the green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and healthy stir fry..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to farmer's market today! It was fun.
    Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandira/Aswin, you have a lovely blog. I would like your inputs on a story I am writing for a newspaper. I don't see an email address on your blog, so could you please mail me at thinkingcramps@gmail.com. Thanks. I look forward to your mail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever to use asparagus in a spicy curry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always love anything spicy with a desi flavour. Pyaj kali bhaja ruti diye .. winter dinners .... aaah! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The asparagus fry looks wonderful Mandira! Makes me smile to think of you taking the baby to the farmers' market. He'll grow up cooking delicious dishes like his mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. I will spice them up a bit with my spices

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...