July 18, 2010

Eggplant in hot, sweet and sour sauce (Pacheri Terong)

sweet and sour eggplant

It was one of those perfect days, the sun was neither too hot, nor too timid. I had just managed to to find enough time to put the pickle I put every year (thanks again Manisha!) and I still had time. The little one was taking one of those rare long afternoon naps!

We were getting food ready for dinner. I had a eggplant and was wondering what to do with it when Aswin brought out one of our Madhur Jaffery recipe books. It dawned on me that I had not used one of those in a few months. So I looked up and found a Malaysian recipe - Pacheri Terong - that sounded fantastic.

We had all the ingredients, I adjusted it to match our tastes and started cooking. I have to say it came out delicious. I could taste all three - hot, sweet and sour - in perfect balance with each other. And the cinnamon in eggplant, I had not used it before, gave it a wonderful aroma as well.

Here is the recipe:
(Recipe courtesy: Madhur Jaffrey's Step by Step Cooking)

Ingredients:
1 onion - sliced thinly
1 inch cube ginger - grated
1 tspoon cumin seeds
1 tspoon coriander seeds
2 red chillies
3 cloves
2 inch cinnamon
1 big eggplant - cut in cubes
4 tbsp oil
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
3/4 cup water
Salt to taste

Method:
Grind cumin, coriander, red chillies, cloves, and cinnamon to a fine powder. Heat oil and then add onions and ginger. Saute it for a few minutes till the onions become soft and translucent.

Then add the powdered spices. After this, add water and turn down the heat and let it cook together for a couple of minutes. Then add paprika, tamarind, sugar and salt.

Put in eggplant, and cook for 20-30 minutes until eggplant is tender and the sauce is thick and sticks to the eggplant.

sweet and sour eggplant

Serve with rice or chapati.

12 comments:

  1. Mandira, this is a delicious eggplant recipe. I would go with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you say the baby took a long nap I can totally relate how it feels to have some quite moments in the house. the eggplant curry is totally my thing. sweet n sour eggplant in a thin gravy. heaven with some steamed rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious Mandira! Cinnamon with begun ... must try, must try. Onekta ambol / tauk er moton mone hocche. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds super Mandira. You are even making a pickle. You are a super Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very welcome! I have to make some more lime pickle soon, too.

    I'm always looking for new ways to cook eggplant and this looks very inviting! I hope the little one is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its long since my last visit, donno hw I missed it.
    Now coming bk to de recipe, my fav sidedish...love it wit fried rice. One of my Indonesian fnd here, really makes it spicy n tasty..tho never gave de recipe. Bookmarking ur recipe, will try 2 impress her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing! some with hot rice please.

    How is the little one? life is busy :-)

    I have barely been blog hopping.. my not so little ones are home for sumemr and keeping me busy! Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like to make use of eggplant in a different way and this seems like a nice idea, cant imagine eggplant in sweet and sour taste :) beautiful click :) iam following u :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely try this, I love Indian spices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mandira,
    How are you? Sorry could not keep in touch. was really busy with family issues.
    All your tangy recipes look yum. I was looking at this recipe and my eyes caught the mango gojju... looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey , nice blog , like it ,
    won't be nice if i u can clickover to my blog page too ,
    & post some suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sauce sounds delicious! Especially with eggplant :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...