September 03, 2010

Green beans & carrots (tumis bunchis)

carrots and beans

This is an Indonesian recipes I made from Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook Step by Step Cooking a few weeks ago. It was interesting to see the similar ingredients used in a slightly different way. For instance, if I had made this earlier, I wouldn't have put garlic and curry leaves together with beans and carrots. But we all liked how it turned out.

Since then, we have made it a few times and liked the results every time.

Here is how we made it.
(Recipe courtesy: Madhur Jaffrey's Step by Step Cooking)

carrots and beans

Ingredients:
1 pound green beans
2 medium carrots
2-4 hot green chillies
1inch cube ginger
1 inch cube galangal (optional)
1/2 medium onion
4 garlic cloves
3tbsp veg oil
8-10 curry leaves
Salt to taste

Method:
Chop everything into thin slices.
In a pan, when the oil is hot, put in chillies, ginger, garlic, curry leaves, and onion.

Then add green beans, carrots and salt. Saute it all together for a couple of minutes. Then add about 3/4 cup water and let it cook for 5-7 minutes till the carrots turn soft and the water disappears.

carrots and beans

Serve hot with rice and dal.

11 comments:

  1. wow what a delicious n gorgeous looking dish ...yummy ...love the ingredients used in it

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious! colorful and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so colourful. looks creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That almost looks like a Kerala-style stir-fry. Lovely flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so very bright and perky.
    Like you said garlic and ginger might not have been in my recipe either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love beans! So does my kid (hallelujah!). So this looks great and I love the simplicity of it! Will try it soon!
    Anu (http://scatterthebatter.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds super delicious! Love the zesty flavors here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A simple but flavorful recipe. I tried it out and it came out great. I never used galangal, so I really wanted to use it in the dish. But couldnt find any in my supermarket, so omitted it. I really wanted to check what flavor galangal would have brought in the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. curry looks so dleicious,...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colour combination is beautiful.

    Isn't always a pleasure to discover new ways of preparing familiar ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to try this out. I am always on the lookout for new ways to cook the same vegetables. I love your blog and would love to try out some of your recipes.
    I am new to food blogging and would love it if you could visit my site and give me any advice
    http://www.cuminandcardamom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...