February 21, 2011

Phulkopi aar aloo dalna

aloo phulkopir dalna

It's grey outside and has been snowing for the last couple of hours straight. Just when we thought there was spring in the air (temp above freezing for one whole week!), the snow storm warning comes back on. In this gloomy weather, I needed some cheering up. I decided upon this cauliflower and potato curry which my dad made when he was visiting.

After he made this, I asked him to write the recipe which he did and then shared it with me on Google docs. He was quite thrilled that he could share documents with me without e-mailing them. I am hoping that he will have more recipes to share soon.

It provided the perfect warmth in this otherwise snowy, cold day.

Ingredients:
2 medium potatoes - cubed
1 small cauliflower - cut in small florets
4 green chilies - slit in half
1" ginger - grated
1 small onion - chopped
I tomato - chopped in small pieces
1/2 tspoon cumin powder
1/4 tspoon asafoetida powder
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1 tspoon coriander powder
1 tspoon cumin powder
1/4 tspoon garam masala powder
1 cup water
2-3 tbspoon oil
Salt to taste

Method:
Microwave potato and cauliflower adding salt and turmeric powder for 2 minutes.This will reduce your cooking time.

In a non-sitck frying pan add oil to fry potato first and then cauliflower. Temper the rest of the oil with cumin seeds and green chillies. Then add asafoetida powder and ginger and onions.

Next add the tomato, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder along with potatoes and cauliflower pieces and saute it on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.

Add water and salt to taste. Boil the curry for 8-10 minutes on medium heat closed lid till they are fully cooked.

Add garam masala, let it cook for another minute and take it off the heat.

aloo phulkopir dalna

Serve warm with rice or rotis. Now doesn't that look like sunshine in a bowl?

7 comments:

  1. I'd go right at it with a chunk of bread! NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomar dalnar chhobi dekhe mukhe jal aschhe. Dekhei mone hochhe je garom bhater sathe khai. I make it exactly the same way, only I dont add hing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvellous and comforting dalna..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice hot and stewy aloo kopir dalna on a cold day. I will try the hing next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1st time in your blog, you have a lovely space.. This recipe is one of my favorite.. Love this with luchi, porota or even bread..
    http://bhalokhabo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. BongMom10:00 PM

    Love alu-kopir dalna. I usually make totally niramish. Hing sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phool gobhi is my favourite sabji.. I love to eat it with puri. I will make this sabji same like you but just do one thing different i.e. add some matar in to it and make this sabji dry... this is my taste for flavaour..

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...