April 06, 2011

Beetroot pachadi (beetroot chutney)

Beetroot chutney
Updated post on 9/24/14

I first had this when my friend Swati visited us last year. She was coming to see one month-old Ameya and brought a big box of beetroot chutney with her. I tasted it tentatively, but the sweet and sour taste of the pachadi drew me in and I took a big heap of it immediately. We had it with lunch and dinner till it was all gone.

She gave us the recipe, I couldn't remember it, but Aswin did. So I made him make a big batch... and then again. Over the past few months, he forgot the exact measures. So I wrote to Swati again, got the recipe and here it is:

Ingredients:
(recipe courtesy: Swati B)
2-3 beets
2-3 cloves garlic
2-3 green chillies (I add only one chilli for little kids)
pinch of turmeric powder
1 tspoon tamarind paste
big bunch of cilantro
for tadka
1/2 tspoon mustard seeds
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
pinch of asafoetida
1-2 red chillies
3-4 curry leaves

Method:
Grate the beets and fry with 2-3 cloves of garlic, 2-3 green chillies, pinch of turmeric powder. It has to be nicely fried.

Grind up the mixture with cilantro - a big bunch - salt and tamarind.

Then do the tadka, put it on top of the beets mixture and enjoy.

beetroot pachadi

This works great plain or as a side too.

4 comments:

  1. I quite like beetroot chutney. Yours looks solid-er than mine. When I first made it, I thought it was unusual but there were many recipes for it so I didn't post it, but ultimately when I did, it was welcomed. Of late, I've been punishing myself with no beetroots - the last two times I bought them, I let them shrivel to a point where they were unusable, so I'm not buying for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira, beetroot chutney is a new one for me. I buy them almost every week but have never attempted making chutney with it. Got to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm...savory beetroot is the only way for me. Haven't visited in a while, so it's a really treat to land on this.

    Hope you are well, Mandira.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been making Beetroot sabzi and pulao , never tried pachadi ..looks tempting though ..shobho nababarsho to you and yours..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...