April 29, 2011

Spring fix- asparagus, mushrooms & onions

Spring Mix

You know one sure sign of spring is when asparagus starts showing up in farmer's market and vegetable aisles. One of my friends told me a few years ago that asparagus is at it's best when had during spring than at any other time of the year. So when I saw them at the store a week ago, I hurriedly bought a bunch.

At the checkout, our friendly cashier casually mentioned that he has bought 5 bunches and plans to each a bunch every day.

I made a quick stir-fry with the asparagus, mushrooms and onions tossing it with some soy-sauce, sriracha, lemon infused olive oil and some cumin seeds. It tasted delicious and reminded us that spring is not that far :)

Here is how I made it:
Ingredients:
1 bunch asparagus
10-12 cremini or white button mushrooms
1 medium onion
1 tspoon cumin seeds
2 tbspoon soy sauce
1/3 tspoon sriracha (you can increase or decrease it depending on your spice level)
1 tbspoon olive oil
1/2 tspoon cumin seed powder
salt to taste

Method:
Cut asparagus, and mushrooms and slice the onions thinly. Heat oil and temper it with cumin seeds. Then add the onions and let it saute for a couple of minutes. Then add the mushrooms and asparagus and mix it well together. Add the soy sauce, sriracha and the cumin seed powder, salt and let it cook on medium heat with closed lid.

Spring mix

Cook for 10-12 minutes till cooked. Serve hot as a side with pulao, quinoa or even paratha.

9 comments:

  1. I read that tender Asparagus have a very short growing season in the spring and are in the peak of their flavor.

    Love your combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandira,
    This looks so delicious ..almost can feel the lemon infused oil and tinge of soya sauce in my mouth :D..So, how is Ameya doing?..take care..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. They looks wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time here..u hv a wonderful space with mouthwatering recipes n pics...
    Visit mine as time permits...
    And this looks so yummy n filling..
    Sanyukta
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. super dish .. is there any new..?

    from
    asanandan
    rupees4gigs
    http://www.rupees4gigs.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mandira
    Very nice and innovative recipe especially the method. Let me see where do I get the asparagus in Noida.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Indo, Jaya, Priya, Sanyukta, Ushnish. I've tried asparagus a few different ways now. This combination tastes pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see asparagus so often in the grocery, but apart from baking them, I run out of ideas. This seems like a pretty good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice recipe, Mandira. I tried it out today. It was quick and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...