April 19, 2011

Sweet Potato Biscuits

sweet-potato-biscuits

It was the middle of winter. There were long stretches of gray days and it was at that time, whenever I would log into my Facebook account I would see an add for Sweet Potato Biscuits at PBS Parents. Usually, I would ignore such ads, but after seeing it for the 10th time, I broke down and decided to give it a try.

As soon as I reached home, I got my ingredients together and put it in the oven. We had biscuits for dinner, but they were pretty delicious. I am keeping this recipe and also looking out for more such ads on my Facebook page.

Have you ever given in to such cravings?

sweet-potato-biscuits

Here is the recipe:
(recipe courtesy: PBS Parents)

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tbspoon baking powder

1 tspoon salt

1 cup mashed sweet potato (from 1 – 2 cooked sweet potatoes. I baked my sweet potatoes)

2 tbspoon firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup butter flavor Crisco (I just used unsalted butter),
1/2 tspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk ( I didn't have any, so I used 5-6 tbspoons yogurt and mixed it well with water)

Method:
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Then combine the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.

Mix the cooked and mashed sweet potato with sugar, and butter. I didn't have a mixer, so I just mixed it by hand until it blended well.

Add the baking soda in buttermilk. Then add the buttermilk and sweet potato mixture alternately into dry ingredients until they are just combined.

I cooled my dough in the fridge for about 30 min. Then roll dough ½ inch thick on floured counter. And then cut small rounds in that. I used a juice glass for it.

Put it on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Serve warm.

sweet-potato-biscuits

We had ours with some shredded chicken and salad.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful photography!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting and looks very tempting Mandira. Love the idea of having them with chicken and salad. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mandira
    Very nice and innovative recipe ..I like it.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biscuits looks simply fabulous and interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous biscuits! I have to try this very interesting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there are so many times I crave and give in to recipes Mandira, all the thanks to lovely blogger friends we have. Logging into my google reader when I am hungry is a torture. ;-). the biscuits looks so yummy.

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a really interesting idea! I've had sweet potato pancakes and they were to die for! Never had it in biscuits before. did you just use butter on them or some other topping?

    ~Nancy Lewis~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone. @Nancy - like the idea of sweet potato pancakes too. Have to try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandira,
    Sweet potato biscuit simply lovely..and just loved the second picture..breath taking ..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...