June 28, 2011

Mango Rice and 5 years of blogging

My blog turned five! Yes, it's true, I am pinching myself as well because it doesn't feel like it. Well, maybe because the last couple of years have been more sporadic partly because of this little guy who keeps us on our toes. :)

A while cooking
(running towards me to grab the camera)

I have learned so much in the five years. Here's my take of the last 5 years.
1. Experimentation - I've experimented with new cuisines, sometimes only once. I looked through my blog and there are many different recipes I made for an event, but never made them again.
2. New Ingredients - Not only new cuisines, we have adapted new ingredients which are now part of our regular diet. Quinoa, for example, is one of them.
3. Simplicity - One pot meals have been my favorite. And now as Little A tries new things, it's more important than ever.
4. Taking it easy - this was not an easy lesson, but I have learned how to take it easy when I need to. This blog gives me a lot of joy and I intend to keep blogging without stressing too much.
5. Last, but the most important are all of you, who come here even when I am slacking and encourage me. I have made friends, exchanged pictures, and now talk about babies and more with other food bloggers. So friends Thank You!

I started the blog thinking about mangoes, so here is a mango recipe to celebrate the milestone. This is my MIL's mango rice recipe. When she mentioned it, I salivated, almost. I have heard about it so much, I really wanted to try it. Now I know why it's a big hit with everyone.

Mango Rice

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked white rice (it shouldn't be mushy)
1 cup raw green mango (grated)
handful of cashews (roasted)
salt to taste

For tempering:
2 tbspoon oil
3/4 tspoon mustard seeds
1 tspoon chana dal/urad dal
2-3 dry red chillies
pinch of asafoetida
5-6 curry leaves - torn
1/2 tspoon grated ginger

Method:
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and add the mustard seeds. Once they pop, add the chana/urad dal. Then add the red chillis, grated ginger, curry leaves, ginger, and asafoetida. Saute for a minute. Then add the grated mango and cook it for a few minutes Add a few drops of water if needed. Add the roasted cashewnuts, turn off heat and keep aside.

Once it cools a little bit, add the rice and adjust salt to taste.

Mango Rice

Serve hot with raita.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your blog. Its has been a pleasant and most delicious ride and I think I have been part of it from the early days.

    Oh this mango rice is delicious and it is so easy and simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 5 years of blogging,omg thats a great number for me..Mango rice tempts me a lot..delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 5 years! That is indeed a milestone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Fifth and best wishes for many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Mandira! Love your blog and your recipes. Here's wishing you many more years of happy blogging! Mango rice is new to me ... must try soon before the mangoes disappear from the markets. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Mandira and hope to see more delicious years of food blogging from you..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, may you blog long and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations M! This is an important milestone and am very happy for you. We need more in Aswin's corner now :-)

    tc,
    Durga

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Mandira. Your blog has been a pioneer of bengali cooking and I am so glad to have known it since the early days.
    Only regret is I missed my chance of meeting you in '08. Maybe sometime in the future ?
    Ameya looks so cute and may he and his Mom bring us more delicacies over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congragulations to your blog and to the mpom of the blog :-)
    Wow 5 years that is really something isn't it.
    I agree with everything you have written especially not to stress aobutt eh blog and blog post etc... till last year i used to go to each and every blog in know but now i stopped it and these days mostly i find myself just emptying my reader too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicole11:06 PM

    I feel honored to have had the chance to taste this wonderful rice, Mandira. What is the name of the chicken dish you also gave us?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats wish you many more milestones like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, huge congratulations. Your little man has grown so much too. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone. I am so happy to see so many of my old and new friends here. :) The best part of this was Ameya liked it and ate it as well.

    Bong Mom - We will meet the next time I am in NYC :)

    Nicole - I will post the chicken recipe as soon as I take some pics!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...