June 08, 2011

Methi Chicken curry

methi chicken curry

We went to our Indian store a couple of months ago and saw a notice "fresh vegetables on Tuesday". Of course, I planned on going to the store every Tuesday but it never happened. When I finally did, I found some fresh okra and a good bunch of methi. For some reason, I had methi chicken curry in mind and proceeded to make it.

Whoever said methi and chicken are made for each other, I completely agree with you. The flavors went really well together and I couldn't help dipping my fingers in the curry and tasting the deliciousness several times. We had it with chapati and the leftovers with rice the next day.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs chicken
1 1/2 cups fresh methi leaves - chopped
2 tbspoon ginger garlic paste
1 big onion thinly sliced
1 big tomato
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon chilli powder
1 tspoon cumin seeds
2 green chillies
1/2 cup yogurt
4-5 tbspoon oil
Salt to taste

Spices to grind:
2-3 cloves
1" cinnamon
1/4 tspoon methi seeds
1/2 tspoon coriander seeds
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds

Method:
Mix the yogurt and 1 tbspoon ginger garlic paste long with chilli powder and smear it on the chicken. Keep is aside.

Now heat the oil and temper with cumin seeds and green chillies. Then add the ginger garlic paste, and then the onions immediately after. Saute it till the onions start to brown.

Add in the tomatoes, the spice mixture and the turmeric powder. Saute it together till the tomatoes become mushy.

Now add in the chicken pieces and let it all cook together on medium low heat with closed lid. The yogurt will release water. After it starts to dry, add in 1/2 cup water if needed.

When the chicken is about 3/4 done, add in the methi leaves and cook it till you get a nice thick gravy.

methi chicken curry

Serve warm with rice, chapatis or parathas.

15 comments:

  1. ah methi! I just discovered its English name recently :P

    I will try this for sure. Do you think frozen methi will work, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mandira
    How are you? Thanks for your comment at my Gujarat Blog. I like this recipe and the spicing too.Have to wait until fresh methi season starts.
    The egg-less omelet was very nice, I liked it, even if I was allergic (mentally)to sprouts! ha ha
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time here....

    U have a wonderful space with interesting recipes,

    ArunaManikandan
    http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last time when i went to Indian store found frsh methi leaves but then I kept them in the freezer as I had to go to India suddenly.
    I still have the leaves in the freezer. Chicken curry looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandira, which methi is this? The small leaf or big? It's relative, of course, but the small leaf ones are sold in small bunches and the big ones in bigger bunches - I also learnt recently that it's called Delhi methi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That curry looks mighty scrumptious! A wonderful combination of flavors.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Methi chicken is definitely a winner. BTW growing methi in a pot is really easy. You can try by sprouting your methi seeds and then planting them

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this..looks so perfect and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect curry for a rainy Mumbai dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandira,
    I have may be two or three times made methi chicken..DH and lil one seemed to have a little aversion though..not sure why? ..may be the bitterness of methi ..but I have loved methi chicken..yours looks really creamy and delicious..HUgs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hai Dear

    This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...Please check out my blog..It is for food lovers and person who love to cook..You could find so many recipes that you can easily try at home..I update this blog on a regular basis…So please follow me and motivate me..Thank you
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com

    Aarthi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Methi chicken sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone.

    Anh - You can certainly try frozen methi, but it may vary in taste a little bit.

    Sra - I have not idea. I think it's the small leaves one, but I have nothing to compare it too.

    Bong Mom thanks for the idea. I will do it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My name is Ryan and I’m the editor of howtocookfantasticfood.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your site and so I posted a link to it in our blog directory. I’d like to invite you to be a part of our Featured Website program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at ryan@howtocookfantasticfood.com.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...