July 08, 2011

Family advice and lauki kofta

Lauki Kofta

My phone conversations with my parents revolve around Little A. "How is he eating?" "Has he gained weight?" "What are his new words?" and so on. You get the idea. During these conversations, they also tell me things I should make that he might like. Some thing I try and some just slip by. Lauki kofta is one of them. They have been telling me to try this recipe for months now. But for some reason, I kept postponing it.

Then last week, I was bored with my lauki tarkari. So what did I do? I called my parents immediately and asked for the recipe. They gave me detailed instructions and also said that Little A might like it as well . I made it quickly and we had it for lunch. It was fantastic. This time Little A didn't care for it much, but I going to try it again and give him the koftas. What do you think? What else do your kids like?

Lauki Kofta

Ingredients:
1 medium bottlegourd - enough for 8-10 koftas
2 tbspoon besan
1 tspoon coriander powder
1 tspoon cumin seeds powder
1/4 tspoon red chilli powder
1 tspoon grated ginger
1 medium onion - grated
1 1/2 tomatoes - pulp
2 green chillies
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
5-6 tbspoon oil
1 tspoon cumin seeds
1-2 bay leaves
1/2 tspoon ghee
cilantro - chopped
Salt to taste

Lauki Kofta

Method:
Grate the lauki (bottlegourd) and use your hands to squeeze out all the water. Then mix in the besan, 1/2 tspoon coriander, and cumin powder, 1/4 tspoon turmeric powder and red chilli powder and salt. Mix it well with your hands. Then make small balls using about 1 1/2 tbspoon of the lauki mix. You should get about 8 koftas.

I didn't deep fry it, but shallow fry in a deep pan on low heat till they brown nicely. Take them and keep them in the bowl you would like to serve.

Then in a sauce pan, add 1 tbspoon oil and temper it with cumin seeds, green chillies, and bay leaves. Add the grated ginger, saute for a minute and then add in the onion and tomatoes. Add in the rest of the coriander and cumin powder, turmeric and salt, about 3/4 cup of water and let it all cook together for 6-8 minutes on medium heat till it all mixes and comes together as a gravy.

Lauki kofta

Pour it hot on top of the koftas and garnish it with cilantro. Serve warm with hot rice.

9 comments:

  1. Even my parents ask the same :) lofts looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 14-month-old is teething and is in an idli-dosa phase that is killing me. I can't bear the sight of that batter anymore! Btw, am making your koftas tonight. Husband is sick of the lauki subzi I make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parents just love their grand kids na :D Your lauki koftas look so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. vincent1:18 PM

    Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This a very nice dish of lauki .
    As children hate eating lauki. So always I have to force them to eat it.
    But through your this recipe children like to eat lauki , a healthy dish with joy.
    thanks for sharing such a wonderful dish.
    rahul
    Apartment / Flat in Nagpur

    ReplyDelete
  6. too many flavours for small one to contend with maybe? the koftss fried alone may be something he would like and the gravy separately

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our cook back home used to make the deep fried version. I loved them. I have to try these they look awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. kids take some time to get ued to new textures and tastes. giving the same food again and again helps get them used to it, so dont give up after the first time. My dauaghter at 6 now eats pretty much everything because I kept giving her the different foods we ate over and pver agsain.

    The koftas look delicious and are a favourite at home

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have tried Lauki Koftas today and cant wait to get to the Dinner table now.. such a tasty and delightful dish it is :)

    Glad to follow you dear ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...