August 31, 2011

Chickpea and Chard curry

chickpea and kale curry

We recently got a big bunch of chard from our friends (thanks S, N and little V!). I wanted to make something special with it, so I set it aside and then promptly forgot about it. Last week, when I was scrambling for dinner, I opened the fridge, and there sat the chard, slightly wilted, but waiting patiently.

I gave a big sigh of relief, and used the fresh chard with chickpeas (which I happened to have in the pantry) for delicious curry which we had with chapatis. We gave a little bit to Little A, who played with it, but refused to eat it. His new favorite is plain rice mixed with some ghee. I put it in a plate or bowl in front of him. He exclaims "bhaat, bhaat" and will eat it either with spoon or hands.

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas (you can also soak dried chickpeas)
1 bunch chard - chopped
1 large onion - chopped thin
1 tspoon grated ginger
1/2 tspoon garlic
2 medium tomatoes
1 tspoon cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
2 green chillies
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon coriander powder
1/2 tspoon cumin powder
1/2 tspoon ghee (butter)
2 tbspoon oil
salt to taste

Method:
Heat oil in a deep saucepan and temper it with cumin seeds, bay leaves and green chillies. Then add the ginger, garlic and the onions. Saute it for 2-3 minutes. Add the chard and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.

chickpea and kale curry

Now add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes turn soft. Drain and wash the chickpea and mash some roughly with your hands.

Add the chickpeas, 1/2 cup water and salt. Let it cook on medium heat (closed lid) for another 4-5 minutes till it all mixes well together. Add ghee and take it off the heat.

chickpea and kale curry

Serve warm with chappatis, rotis or rice.

I am sending this to MLLA- 38 hosted by Preeti @ W'rite' food. The event was started by Susan "The Well-Seasoned Cook".

10 comments:

  1. Delicious combo,wonderful side dish for rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful combination of chickpeas and chard. You get protein and greens in one dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and delicious combination. looks absolutely inviting :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never cooked chard, bit love the idea of using it together with chicke peas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lots of chard growing too, this is indeed a good idea.
    A started talking too, wow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect curry for chapati :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, Mandira. Chard is fast becoming a one of my favorite leafy greens. Must be scrummy in a curry with my bona fide favorite legume. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy curry - I wouldn't have thought to pair up these two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can never find Chard in my part of the world in Andhra. I make Methi with Chickpeas and it makes for a great combination with Bhatura.

    Btw, hope you remember me. Was blog hopping and dropped by to say hello. Hope you have been well. :)

    Sailu @ Sailus Kitchen - Indian Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hindi music behold an excellent harmonization of melodious voice, stunning lyrics and vibrant music. Download the unlimited numbers of Bollywood and DJ remix songs from pagalworld without loosing comfort of your home.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...