October 26, 2011

Quick rosogollar payesh for diwali

rosogollar payesh

No sweets for diwali, No! That's what my brain was telling me all through the week. So I decided to make something and use a shortcut. I've heard about rosogollar payesh and have been wanting to try it. And I can get ready made rasgullas, that's half my work done.

I used one tin of rasgullas and the syrup to sweeten the milk. It took me a while to thicken the milk, about a couple of hours, but it was sitting in the back and I stirred it often and let it do its magic. I cooked the rasgullas for 5-10 min in the milk which gave it a nice creaminess. I threw in a good handful of almonds for crunchiness and that's it!

It's really simple, here's how to do it.

Ingredients: 
1 tin rasgollas ( about 15-18)
about 5-6 cups of milk (I used 3 cups non fat and 2 and half cups of full fat)
about 2 cups of rasgolla syrup
good pinch of saffron
handful of slivered almonds

rosogollar payesh

Method:
Take 5-6 tspoon of warm milk and soak the saffron. Heat the rest of the milk in a thick bottomed pan. Leave a spoon in the pan so that the milk doesn't spill over. Heat it on medium low and let it come to a boil.

After it has been boiling for an hour, add in the syrup, half of the saffron and let it cook to another hour. You want to end up with about 2-3 cups of milk.

Add the rasgollas, the rest of the saffron and almonds and let it cook for another 5 minutes on low.

rosogollar payesh
Take it off the heat and chill before serving.

Happy Diwali! Have a bright and sparkling one.

You may also want to check out the e-book the the Indus Ladies published with 100 sweet recipes including one of mine.

For more rosogollar payesh see here and here.

8 comments:

  1. My absolute favorite! Happy Diwali Mandira :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too :-) Wishing you and your family a very Happy Diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super tempting sweets, Happy diwali wishes to u and ur family..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was looking for something simple for some guests this weekend...am going to give it a try...
    thanks for sharing...i love anything which is shortcut!
    ;-)

    dayeeta

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was A's Diwali Mandira ? Did I forget to write my comment here ? So sorry. Blame it on the snow shall we :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. George Tebresco4:44 PM

    "I’m trying to reach the writer of this blog but cannot find a way to send a note! I’m new to the blogosphere…How do I submit a private note?"

    George Tebresco
    gt@myfoodrecruiter.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect for the festival

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice recipe. looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...