December 21, 2011

Orange and saffron cake

orange and saffron cake


Little A is going to be 2 next month and I think I made a breakthrough this month. You see, last year, I made this delicious birthday cake for him and he barely tasted it. This entire year, every time we went to a birthday party or if I baked a cake at home, I would try to get him eat a bite. Lil A would make a face, and now that he's talking say 'yucky' and walk away. So I had kind of given up on him eating cake. So this cake was not for him.

It was for us and for our friends. This has been my go to recipe for this holiday season. I've already made various versions of it (including a cake pudding trying to salvage a disaster) and it comes out great every time. But let me not digress.

At our friend's place when we were getting ready for dessert, Lil A points towards the cake. I ask him surprised "You want a piece?" He nods his head. So I sit him on a chair and cut a piece and he takes a bite. And another and then another. Yeah, Lil A ate and liked the cake. :)

It also helped that there was a 4-year-old sitting next to him eating a cake piece. But I may have just found a winner. Here is the recipe with Lil A's stamp of approval. I got the recipe from here, and modified it with saffron and reducing eggs and baking powder.

Ingredients:
(Modified from: Morocconfood)
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 cups flour
3 tspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

orange and saffron cake

Juice from 1 fresh orange and its zest
1 good pinch of saffron soaked in 2-3 tbspoon warm milk
2-3 tbspoon powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Method:
Preheat your oven to 350° F (180° C), butter and flour the pan and keep it aside. Beat the eggs and sugar until it becomes thick. Then slowly add in the oil.

Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt in the mix, and then the orange juice, little bit at a time. Beat until smooth, and then mix in the zest and saffron milk.

Add the batter into your pan, and bake for about 40-45 minutes till the toothpick comes out clean.

orange and saffron cake

Cool on a rack and then add some dusting of powdered sugar.

orange and saffron cake

Serve plain or with some ice-cream.

Have a wonderful holidays everyone.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays! Mandira.
    Birthday wishes to the little one and that cake looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking cake! I haven't used saffron before. I passed on an opportunity to get free saffron last month. :( I may buy a little to try this! Thank you!

    There's nothing like and older kid to get little ones to try something new. I mean, what do parents know, right? ;)

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My birthday wishes to ur lil one,cake looks super rich and definitely flavourful with orange and saffron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandira,
    God bless lil Ameya and happy holidays..cake looks super delicious..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. You blog is so creative. I love making these things too and I liked your recipes and blog content. Good work. Keep posting more.

    Divya Bhaskar
    MyGrahak.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely cake Mandira -- I can't believe baby is 2!! Happy Birthday to the darling 2 yr old and Happy New Year to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year!
    lovely cake...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year Mandira..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats a beautiful flavour and the cake looks delectable...a very happy new year to you and your family

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than 6 years now. I love to hear from you, all your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming. I will also try to answer any questions you have in the comments.

Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...