May 29, 2012

Orange and Banana Muffin

Orange and Banana Muffin


It was a couple of weeks ago, I asked on Ahaar's Facebook page ideas for a weekend breakfast. I got a variety of suggestions, from poha, to crepes, to cupcakes.



I started with cupcakes idea but settled on muffins for breakfast because Lil A is not very fond of icing.

I got the recipe from here and then tweaked it for my needs. I added almonds and colorful cheerios instead of oats and walnuts. I also reduced the amount to 1/2, eyeballing it for most parts. The muffins came out quite well. When I was baking, the sweet and fresh smell of the oranges  permeated through the kitchen. And when they were ready to eat, the orange smell combined with the softness from the banana made it a treat.

Lil A had one for his snack as soon as I took the muffins out from the oven and that tells me it was a success!

Serving: - 6-8 muffins

Orange and Banana Muffin

 Ingredients:
(recipe courtesy from here)


1/2 cup orange juice
1 tbspoon grated orange zest
2 tbspoon vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 1 banana)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup colorful cheerios (roughly chopped in blender)
1 cup whole wheat flour
handful almonds roughly chopped
2 tspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 370 deg F.

Combine eggs and sugar in a bowl till fluffy. Then add the orange juice and zest. Now add the vegetable oil, bananas and honey and stir till everything mixes well.

In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, ground cheerios, flour, baking powder, salt and nuts. Add the solids to the liquid ingredients slowly till it all mixes well together.

Spray muffin cups with non-stick spray and fill 3/4 full.


Orange and Banana Muffin

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean.

14 comments:

  1. Wow! Only 2tbsp of oil/ whole wheat flour/ no white sugar.... Eto perfect diabetic muffin! packed with nutrients and no saturated fat!! Phata-phati. And as luck will have it, I have ALL the ingredients today. No tweeking required! Aaj Sid nap nilei baniye phelbo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply yum recipe...love the flours of orange and banana...perfect way to start the day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I luv cupcakes and muffins or a slice of cake with coffee preferably the cake is baked a day before specially on weekends,so that weekends are not chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some extra time on Friday so I baked it. Tasted great for the next couple of days :)

      Delete
  4. U made those with just 2 tbsp oil? darun toh !! and love the fact you have used honey also...With orange flavour and banana this sounds great...Dekhte o bhalo hoyeche

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deepa. I was also intrigued with the oil, but it turned out great and the flavors were so good :)

      Delete
    2. I was also intrigued with that Deepa, but it turned out great!. Flavors gulo just perfect. Try koro.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:51 AM

    nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super soft and yummy muffins..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little A in my home is not yet upto muffins. She likes cakes with creamy centers and frosting, the kind I can not make ;-0
    Big Sis will love this though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I give Lil A one of those cake, he will pick at the cream for a little bit and then walk away :) But I am like your Lil A, can eat those anytime.

      Delete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...