August 20, 2012

Moong Dal Laddoo

Moong Dal Laddoo

 It inevitably happens when my parents come and go or when my MIL is visiting us, the blog reflects that shift with the recipes that are posted. After all this is a place to record our home cooked food. Sometimes I go back in history to browse (doesn't happen that frequently now what with the little one) and it's so interesting to see what was cooking in the kitchen the same month in different years and so on.

This Moong Dal Laddoo is a traditional offering in my Mother-in-Law's household for Janamasthami. So we decided to make it this year with her help. It wouldn't have happened if she was not here or if she didn't suggest it. It needs a little bit of prep with roasting the moong dal and then grinding it to a powder. But you won't regret the time spent as the sweet delicacy sits in your palm ready to eat.

Making sweets or desserts from moong dal is not something we did often growing up. But I would look forward to the moong dal halwa which our neighbors sent over every diwali. The halwa would be full of ghee and nuts and we would all devour it after lighting the crackers. Other than that, this is the other dal sweet which I came across. How else could you make a dessert/sweet with moong dal?

This moong dal laddoo hit the right spot and I have to confess I ate 2-3 together before I had to push the plate and say "the photo shoot is over" :)

Here is how we made it:

Ingredients:
2 cups yellow Moong Dal (Split GreenGram)
1 1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Ghee (clarified butte)
1/2 tspoon cardamom powder

Moong Dal Laddoo

Method:
Dry roast the moong dal until it turns dark golden and gives a strong aroma. Remove from heat and keep it aside to cool.  Grind the roasted moong dal into a powder with the sugar and keep it aside. Add the cardamom powder to the mix.

Now heat a thick bottomed pan and melt the ghee. Add all the ingredients and let it cook for 3-4 minute on medium low heat.

Take it off the heat and then divide the mix into equal portions and make then into round balls with firm finger pressure.

Moong Dal Laddoo
This stays for up to 2 weeks  but there's nothing like a good warm laddoo.

14 comments:

  1. am going to make it real soon. looks so good and we all love this at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sayantani, let me know how it comes out.

      Delete
  2. Super irresistible laddoos, wish to have some rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot believe such yummy looking laddoos can be made so easily - no sugar syrup! A must try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah no sugar syrup and not much ghee. But you have to apply some pressure to make it into laddoos.

      Delete
  4. Planning to make this in coming Ganesha Chathurthi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm delicious,,,feel like picking one,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never made these laddoos. Looks so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had help from my MIL. In fact it is her hands making those laddoos. I made a couple and then ate them quickly too :)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful writing ... I have everything at home, and will try it this weekend and also check out my video how to make Thai Red Curry – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnG4pZvG97Y

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of moong dal ladoos but my mom makes moong halwa often. I will surely try this out :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...