August 09, 2012

Toker Dal (Bengali mango dal)

Tok er dal (Bengali mango dal)

Summer is going too fast. As I type this rain is steadily falling, the temperatures have dipped to 70s, and I am warming my hands on a hot cup of tea. Lil A is sitting next to me (barely) complaining that his wagon is "all wet" and is demanding to go outside immediately.

The relief from heat is much needed but I am reminiscing about the hot summer afternoon when I came home to find a big bowl of toker dal.  I had been telling my parents about toker dal and that I haven't had it in forever, and also that I need to make it soon. After that I forgot all about it. Then I come home one day to find this hot, mildly sour, little bit sweet bowl of dal waiting for me. I probably ate all my lunch with this dal that afternoon.

This dal reminds me of hot summers and summer vacations in India when we would have this with coolers running and fans whirring. What do you associate with hot summer afternoons?

I didn't get a chance to record the podcast before they left, so I called and asked them for the recipe. Here it goes:

 1 1/2 cup masoor dal (red lentil)
1 big raw mango (or 2 small ones) - chopped into thin medium pieces
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tspoon sugar
Salt to taste

For tadka
2 tbspoon oil
1 tspoon mustard seeds
2-3 red chillies
1/4 tspoon hing (asafoetida)

Tok er dal (Bengali mango dal)

Boil the dal with salt and turmeric powder and set it aside. My masoor dal is done in a pressure cooker in 2 whistles. Set it aside.

In a deep pan, heat the oil and add hing, mustard seeds and red chillies. Then add the chopped mango pieces and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the boiled dal, a cup of water if need and let it boil on low medium heat for 4-6 minutes till the mango pieces are soft. Add the sugar, adjust salt and take it off the heat.

Tok er dal (Bengali mango dal)
Serve it with hot rice and bhaja (fries) of your choice. We had ours with some bhindi aar aloo bhaja (okra and potato fries).


  1. Onek din hoyeche tok'er dal baniye Mandira...we got real good ripened mangoes this summer here , tai r oyi Mexican ekto tok mango kine ani ni..tumar ta dekhe eyi baar amar O khete r banate iche hoche..Kemon acho r lil A kemon ache?..hugs

    1. Bhalo achi Jaya. Ami koto din pore eta khelam thanks to Maa and Baba

  2. What a delightful dish and easy to make too. Just perfect.


Hello and welcome to Ahaar. We have been cooking and posting recipes for more than a decade now. We love to hear from you -- your comments and feedback. Please keep it coming.
Happy browsing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...